X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name, number, then short message.

Why after all these years of voice mail and answering machines is this still a challenge to most people?

Re: Name, number, then short message.

Its not a challenge. People just don't want to leave messages. I can say that a major reason for this in my area is that most companies do a terrible job of returning the call. Many months back I experimented by having a friend call 5 of my competitors. Nobody answered the phone, and one returned the call. Since then I have been obsessive about making sure i answer the phone or call back immediately even if they did not leave a message. It lands me a lot more work.

If you cannot answer the phone, hire a service. Make sure a live person answers the phone, you will be well served. Be different than your competition.
    If I can't fix it, I will help you find a good plumber.

Comment

my machine prompts you to leave you name, phone number and brief message, you have 1 minute. if it's a true emergency, i can be reached on my cell phone, 1-310-xxx-xxxx.

you be surprised how many will call me on my cell phone when it's not an emergency. then again how many will not call on the cell when it's an emergency.

more and more are texting and sending photos of the problem so i'm already prepared.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have the same message on my phone Rick and I have the same feelings/experiences

texting is great as the customer can send the address to me if I'm on another job, then I punch it into googlemaps on my iphone. Pictures are very helpful in this regard too.

Comment

I like the texts. But I get so many people that call and leave a message then no phone number. If I can figure out the number they say oh I figured you had caller Id. Yes I do but if Im away from my phone for a hour or so I may have several missed calls since they always seem to come in bunches. I dont wanna have to try and hunt numbers down. Then get the really long messages then they wanna spit there number out at the end like there trying to break a record. People crack me up sometimes.

Comment

They should. Have an ap with your local. Yellow pages that way anyone that calls you, you have there number and address? Id get it for sure i run into similer problems this has turned into a great thread interested where it might go? Thanks seanny

Comment

I always try and leave my name and phone number at the beginning and end of the message. Nothing I hate more than a novel with their number buried in the middle or end of a message. Personally I like email, keeps a record of the conversations that you can go back over if you forget stuff.

Comment

Name & #num and a little bit about your problem
                going on 22 years and 3 answering machines
                it works for me just fine

Comment

My phone is on 24/7 and I will answer at 2am on a holiday, but my message is very specific LEAVE YOUR NUMBER!!!!!!. I can't get right back to you if you call from a blocked number and don't leave one.

Comment

I want a detailed message, so I can determine right away, whether its an emergency, a BS call, an information shopper, a bargain hunter, a tellemarketer, or a customer thats wants something done, when I get time. My voice mail says, if you do not leave a detailed message, I will not call you back. Had 2 calls today. 1 said they want a new comfort height toilet put in, & are in no hurry. Another said they wanted a new shut off on lawn sprinkler, cuz the gate valve is dripping water out the drain 90, after system was winterized, & then they went on to tell me they wanted new outside hose bibbs, & a few other things.
                    I like it this way, cuz I don't feel like I got to call all these people back right away, during the hussle & bussle of the day. I can call them back, as my message says, after 6pm. This way I'm not interupting my day, everytime the phone rings, I can get alot more info, & be more personable, when I'm not under the gun. And I'm not always on my phone, while I'm working at the current customers house, which I think is disrespectful. If these people are calling from work, they know to give me their home, or cell numbers, cuz my message says, I will call you back after 6pm.
                    I've gotten calls that said " Don, this is Rick, call me right away, its important". I call the guy back, & its some A-hole trying to sell me sawzall blades by the thousand. So if your message aint got no detail, I aint calling you back.

Comment

[QUOTE=I've gotten calls that said " Don, this is Rick, call me right away, its important". I call the guy back, & its some A-hole trying to sell me sawzall blades by the thousand. So if your message aint got no detail, I aint calling you back.[/QUOTE]

Ii swear that wasn't me

but let me know if you're interested in sawzalls or blades. last count was 15 new saws and hundreds of blades

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

We have a service that answers our calls.

When a customer calls, the phone will ring (bounce) around the country until one of the operators picks up. Once the message is left, my dad's beeper goes off. (yes I said beeper) So within 5 minutes a call is being returned to the customer with the service we have.

Our website is another way for people to contact us, but I'm thinking of taking that part of the website down. Our contact numbers are clearly visible, but yet we have knuckleheads that want emergency service, and they e-mails us! I don't use a smart phone, so I can't get e-mails on my phone.

Comment

My smart phone is slightly handicaped but it makes work easier maybe get one flux? There quite handy..

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                            My smart phone is slightly handicaped but it makes work easier maybe get one flux? There quite handy..
                            I wanted to get a smart phone, but I was worried about getting it wet and damaging it. I normally just buy simple phones because of the trade we are in, but I see lot's of other Plumbers with smart phones.

For me though, I would rather have the i-pad...screen is much bigger. Plus I hate talking on the phone during while I'm working, it's not fair to the customer who is paying me for my attention. (just the way I look at it)

Comment

Working...
                            X