X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex Fittlings Pinholes

Okay so in the last 2 to 3 weeks I have had to remove about 10 pex fittings ranging from 3 months old to 2 years old.....they have pinholes in them....I don't do new construction and some of the new construction guys that I know have removed dozens more....so what is up with that? Anybody know if there is a recall or bad metal mixes or what?
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Re: Pex Fittlings Pinholes

I do not have a specific answer for you, but everything comes from the factory with a certain rate of failure eventually.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
      Okay so in the last 2 to 3 weeks I have had to remove about 10 pex fittings ranging from 3 months old to 2 years old.....they have pinholes in them....I don't do new construction and some of the new construction guys that I know have removed dozens more....so what is up with that? Anybody know if there is a recall or bad metal mixes or what?
      "Pex" is pretty general, what brand and connection method?
      26+6=1

Comment

Sorry the fitting are Nibco with the copper crimp rings......

Derek

Comment

I forgot to ad, today's latest and greatest fad is tomorrows fail... CPVC, PB, asbestos, lead based paint, all modern marvels in its day, now today's headache.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
            I forgot to ad, today's latest and greatest fad is tomorrows fail... CPVC, PB, asbestos, lead based paint, all modern marvels in its day, now today's headache.

Scary......because we have been having copper doing the same thing and so everybody is looking for the "new best thing".....

Derek

Comment

If copper is doing the same thing I would look at the water. The best way to figure it out short of a metallurgical study would be to post some pictures.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I agree that aggressive water is probably the culprit. I have seen this happen to copper systems over time in homes with well water. Can't remember what was in the water that caused the interaction with the piping though

Comment

Aggressive water is normally associated with private wells...is this where these fittings were installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    Aggressive water is normally associated with private wells...is this where these fittings were installed?
                    No...its city municipality....they do I suppose the normal treatment stuff....chlorinating and such....One guy said that Nibco told him they had a bad "batch" of fittings go out with the wrong mix of metal ratios....but IDK.....

Derek

Comment

We have had a ton of problems with aggressive water in California and Nevada but none were wells. If Nibco is admitting to a problem they will pick up the repair costs. Give them a call to verify it was true and not some guy just blowing smoke. I did read a paper a couple of years ago by the University of Missouri regarding aggressive water. They were talking about the advantage/disadvantage of using Zinc-orthophosphate versus Poly-orthophosphate.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        We have had a ton of problems with aggressive water in California and Nevada but none were wells.
                        See here in Pennsylvania it's the opposite...private wells around here "can" have terrible ph levels which cause pitting in the pipe. But I mostly see those problems in homes built prior to 1970 when "m" copper was king for running water lines.

This here sounds like a bad batch of fittings.

Comment

For me I am the guy who sends the bill to the property management company, who pays me then bills the new construction guys, who bills and is sending in the fittings to Nibco and suppose to be getting refunded....
                          I am for my own curious sakes just wanting to see if this is a local problem or a bigger picture kinda deal....

Derek

Comment

gotta ream the pex pipe to avoid pinholes.

yes I'm joking.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have founf that the nibco 90's are tight radiuse and the 1/2 in for example has an interior diameter that is less than copper pipe. I wonder if flow velocity is causing erosion.

Comment

Working...
                              X