To renew your plumbing license

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To renew your plumbing license

The only good thing about Minnesota is they do come down hard on unlicensed wanna be plumbers. We have a couple of handymen around here who try and sneak a job in here and there but for the most part they're running scared. They don't dare advertise plumbing or even talk about it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
      The only good thing about Minnesota is they do come down hard on unlicensed wanna be plumbers. We have a couple of handymen around here who try and sneak a job in here and there but for the most part they're running scared. They don't dare advertise plumbing or even talk about it. LOL
      Not here in Pennsylvania...Handymen are quite outspoken about their Plumbing skills. I have no problems with handymen doing Plumbing, just be legal about it like I and every other Plumber has to be.

However, we do have a few area's that are very strict.

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
        Right....I found the same thing...no state level...its all done at the city and county levels....I called Jeff City and was told basically the same thing....by the way, the fees I am paying are for business licenses...no other kind of licenses recognized here....
        That's amazing to me. For some reason I actually thought that California had the most lax licensing laws! LOL
        I did take a look at the Missouri info, so no license required in populations of 15K or less and then in the larger cities you apply to the City to take a test and give them a 10 dollar yearly fee? Is that correct, that's all? What is the test like? What's on it? I have some family moving down there to the Branson area and am just curious.

Comment

That's amazing to me. For some reason I actually thought that California had the most lax licensing laws! LOL
          I did take a look at the Missouri info, so no license required in populations of 15K or less and then in the larger cities you apply to the City to take a test and give them a 10 dollar yearly fee? Is that correct, that's all? What is the test like? What's on it? I have some family moving down there to the Branson area and am just curious.

MoJourneymen will have to tell you about a test....where I am at doesn't have a test....and your information is spot on.....So I think St.Louis, K.C., Springfield, Joplin and Jeff City are the big ones that have city plumbing licenses....where I am at their are permits and rules and such and they do jump in your shi* if you don't follow the code and their rules....but yes, pay $35.00 and register a name with the state and you can be any tradesmen you want....it was a culture shock coming from Florida to here on the rules and regulations...
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

In arkansas you pay 200 a year for master license and I believe 75 a year for journeyman license to the state. Then your cities business license which where I live is 25 a year.

Comment

There is no license in Branson currently. We do a fair amount of work there. The test in Springfield is the same IPC test you'd take anywhere else. They just contract the testing out. We had a couple of guys take their Journeyman test this year, we're still using the 2006 code, but because it's contracted out, they were tested on the 2009 code. Supposedly we will be adopting the 2012 code next year.

No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                We had a couple of guys take their Journeyman test this year, we're still using the 2006 code, but because it's contracted out, they were tested on the 2009 code. Supposedly we will be adopting the 2012 code next year.
                Our state is very similar. (we are now I.P.C)

The rule of thumb here is supposed to be...each area adopts the version of the code that's 3 years older. So technically we are suppose to be following 2006. Problem is, many area's are following the 2003 version..and some are following the 2006 version. Who the hell knows when we will follow the 2012 version. lol Because we are not a State wide License (even though my license is good everywhere in the state except Pitts & Philly)...things are messed up around here.

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                  MoJourneymen will have to tell you about a test....where I am at doesn't have a test....and your information is spot on.....So I think St.Louis, K.C., Springfield, Joplin and Jeff City are the big ones that have city plumbing licenses....where I am at their are permits and rules and such and they do jump in your shi* if you don't follow the code and their rules....but yes, pay $35.00 and register a name with the state and you can be any tradesmen you want....it was a culture shock coming from Florida to here on the rules and regulations...
                  So, there is no apprentice, journyman or master plumbers in those areas?

Comment

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post

Only the self proclaimers.....
                    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Here in Mich, all we are required to do, is take a code update class, which is 1 day long, every 3 yrs.
                      I may be sick, but most of the guys there complain about the class, & think they don't need it, & its all a waste of time, but I actually enjoy it, & learn alot. The state chief of plumbing board, gives the class, I go to. Boring at times, but overall, informative.

Comment

outside of the largest cities with their own licenses my wife could decide that she is a plumber, and advertise as such.

Originally posted by nobackfall View Post
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I have been paying $130 per year. 6 CE every year.

Some smaller cities do not charge me for the "right to work" (business license). Most charge the state max of $50. Counties cannot charge. The larger cities require bonds as well.....but you can't just get one large bond. You are required to get a separate bond for each.

I was going to get my electrical specialty license but it is even more CE hours a year than plumbing and another host of charges. I will continue to sub out what I have to.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • conductor fault locating
                          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

We have continuing education which partly consists of:
                            -Building Dept. investigators who describe what they will do to us for an hour if we break the law. One of us raises our hand, and asks why nothing is being done about unlicensed plumbers, with clear decriptions on how to find them.
                            Then, with the most dumbfounded look, the rebuttal is "we can't find them, they have no place of business, and the property owners won't let us in without a warrant". Thankgiving get-togethers are exciting compared to that! I'll be here all week...

Comment

In New Hampshire you have to come see me (or someone like me) that is licensed to give continuing education seminars and then pay up for your two year ticket.

Ironranger; Two things. One, tried you 7up fish recipe tonight on catfish.....MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm very tasty indeed. that one's a keeper, thanks

Next; the state is letting us decide what subjects to teach at the seminars and after teaching the same three subjects for the last 20 years I'd like to know from you guys what you would like to go over.
                              sigpic

Comment

They recently started requiring continuing education for my Utah license. I think it's a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X