state gas W.H. made 20 years !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• state gas W.H. made 20 years !

50 gal gets replaced with a bradford White 50 gal. Chimney is 3 " would up size to 4"?
    Thanks
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: state gas W.H. made 20 years !

Some 50 gallon lo nox wh's allow you to go with a 3" or 4" flue. We just put in a State WH that was allowed for both sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
      Some 50 gallon lo nox wh's allow you to go with a 3" or 4" flue. We just put in a State WH that was allowed for both sizes.
      After install I'll give it the blowback test with a butane log lighter at hood . Thanks Scott
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Our code, here in Mich, says 40 gal, 40,000 Btu has to have 4" flue. I believe, but not 100% sure, that the 37,000 btu or below is allowed to have 3" flue. I have used the 40 gal 34,000 Btu heaters only a time or 2, when increasing flue pipe, was not feasible.
        .Even if the heater has a 3" flue, ya gotta increase to 4". Most the draft hoods now though, as most of you know, accept 3", or 4".

Comment

The flue size is a function of the BTU rating of the WH, it's not connected to the volume of the WH.
          You could have a 40 Gal WH with say less than 37K BTU and by the example Don gave that could be 3".
          But a 40 Gal WH with a burner rated at > 37K BTU would need a 4" flue. It's also governed by the
          manufacturers installation requirements which most mechanical codes reference anyway so that's the
          place to start I think.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
          X