X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• state gas W.H. made 20 years !

50 gal gets replaced with a bradford White 50 gal. Chimney is 3 " would up size to 4"?
    Thanks
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: state gas W.H. made 20 years !

Some 50 gallon lo nox wh's allow you to go with a 3" or 4" flue. We just put in a State WH that was allowed for both sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
      Some 50 gallon lo nox wh's allow you to go with a 3" or 4" flue. We just put in a State WH that was allowed for both sizes.
      After install I'll give it the blowback test with a butane log lighter at hood . Thanks Scott
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Our code, here in Mich, says 40 gal, 40,000 Btu has to have 4" flue. I believe, but not 100% sure, that the 37,000 btu or below is allowed to have 3" flue. I have used the 40 gal 34,000 Btu heaters only a time or 2, when increasing flue pipe, was not feasible.
        .Even if the heater has a 3" flue, ya gotta increase to 4". Most the draft hoods now though, as most of you know, accept 3", or 4".

Comment

The flue size is a function of the BTU rating of the WH, it's not connected to the volume of the WH.
          You could have a 40 Gal WH with say less than 37K BTU and by the example Don gave that could be 3".
          But a 40 Gal WH with a burner rated at > 37K BTU would need a 4" flue. It's also governed by the
          manufacturers installation requirements which most mechanical codes reference anyway so that's the
          place to start I think.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X