X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 phase water heater

went out to trouble shoot a 3 phase water heater tonight at a new theater we plumbed. It's a 460v water heater with a blown element, been on for a week now. When I tested incoming power I found 277v on each leg. To me that equals out to 831v, Now, I don't know a Damned thing about 3 phase, so does that sound right at all? Trying to contact the manufacturer met with a dead end, even their sales reps told me it would just have to wait for Monday before I could order the element.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: 3 phase water heater

I`d contact an a electrian to cover your back

Tony

Comment

You have 277 volts between any of the three legs to ground. If you put a meter between any two legs you will get 480 volts.

Comment

OK, that makes a bit more sense killavolt, thank you. when you test between the legs, do you actually touch both leads of the meter to their respective hot wires with the meter set to AC? "now I'm just curious, Not going to try it.....this time"

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
        You have 277 volts between any of the three legs to ground. If you put a meter between any two legs you will get 480 volts.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Do you own a dollar store meter, or a proper one?

Comment

I use a fluke 116

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
            Do you own a dollar store meter, or a proper one?

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              OK, that makes a bit more sense killavolt, thank you. when you test between the legs, do you actually touch both leads of the meter to their respective hot wires with the meter set to AC? "now I'm just curious, Not going to try it.....this time"
              Yes.

Comment

You need to be careful with all electricity but when you get into the larger voltages serious injury comes much easier. 120 to 277 is like a baby slap to a punch in the nose.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  went out to trouble shoot a 3 phase water heater tonight at a new theater we plumbed. It's a 460v water heater with a blown element, been on for a week now. When I tested incoming power I found 277v on each leg. To me that equals out to 831v, Now, I don't know a Damned thing about 3 phase, so does that sound right at all? Trying to contact the manufacturer met with a dead end, even their sales reps told me it would just have to wait for Monday before I could order the element.

Mojo: It sounds as though you shouldn't be in there. I was collecting a vibration data on a pump in an engine room aboard ship about 20 years ago and my arm accidently brushed against something that was energized with 480v 3 phase. My arm was pretty much dead for about an hour. Nothing like 120v.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

No doubt geno. I Shouldnt be in there

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      Mojo: It sounds as though you shouldn't be in there. I was collecting a vibration data on a pump in an engine room aboard ship about 20 years ago and my arm accidently brushed against something that was energized with 480v 3 phase. My arm was pretty much dead for about an hour. Nothing like 120v.
                      I was in the Navy with a guy that did the same thing, but he lost his arm. Lucky he didn't die.

Comment

Working...
                      X