X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maintenance men lol

Im working at a large Rec center doing AC work and around 2pm the head maintenance man comes running out to my truck where i was and asked if i had one of these it was a cut of 2" mip and he said he thought he needed a fip . they had all the water turned off to the place a pipe that had a pin hole in it and thought it was a quick fix . i ran to the shop a block away and got him his fitting .i get back and they had a pipe off the water heater and it had no valves on it at all
    they said it took a long time for the water to stop and all i was thinking to my self was Pro Press .
    i said they should put in some ball valves before they re fill and i can get the if they want he said not now .

i went back to work and went to use a sink 20 min later and no water so i went to see if i could help them out and they were filling the system back up .
    well water started leaking out of the other pipe another pin hole ,so they pit a clamp with rubber on it for now .
    Now they have to drain down the place again ,to bad they did not take the valves i offered
    maybe they will let me do the work and i will press it all and be done in 15 min
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: maintenance men lol

Never used propress, but have seen it, & I have a few pressed fittings here, so I know exactly what it is. But my question to you is, if the copper is somewhat thin, & forming pin holes, wouldn't that be a problem, when that propress, crimps that pipe? Seems to me, that the copper may split, if not now, but down the road?
    I agree about the maint men too. Now they will probobly forget this ever happened, & do nothing about it, until the next time they have problems. Instead of getting the materials now, & doing it the right way, if another shut down is needed, or when they get time, or bldg is vacant, ect... Their motto should be; WE DON'T HAVE PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE, AROUND HERE WE HAVE CRISIS MANAGEMENT.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
      Their motto should be; WE DON'T HAVE PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE, AROUND HERE WE HAVE CRISIS MANAGEMENT.
      I found my new sig, thanks!
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
        I found my new sig, thanks!
        Love My stainless SIG 380, bought it,though ! Lucky Duck
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

the pin holes may be because of the type of water im not sure i never did any piping work there yet . as far as the PP i would make sure i was pressing onto so good copper pipe
          the leaks were just off the water heater so im not sure why it was leaking

we have a place where i replace some copper pipe with hard K copper every 4 years ,it is always the pipes right off a Teledyne boiler the is used for domestic water , they have very bad water there and do not want to up grade there water softener
          Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

I had a 1/2" older copper pipe split on me after I pressed a fitting on. Seemed like the pipe was very thin with age, something to watch out for.

Comment

Sounds like electrolisis to me ..I am just waiting on a deal for a pro press set up.It is either a camera or pro press . For right now I would probably get more use out of a pro press..That's a toss up though. I would be scared to death the first time I pressed and turned the water back on
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Some guys are awesome plumbers who can fix almost anything, I know a few and appreciate them greatly. Even a few on here! However, when put into a maintenance position; "Instead of getting the materials now, & doing it the right way," won't work if the purse strings are too tight. In my position I HATE putting out fires and nickel and diming things but, if the money isn't there/boss can't make them see why etc...... then you do what you have to do to get it working.
                We had a boss here once who was used to spending money to fix things right the first time: He couldn't cut it when told he couldn't do that here. Have to wait for the money.
                I know you guys have done something just to get by.
                God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

One of my accounts is a major hotel in town with 128 rooms. The general manager pulled the maintenance HD supply account because their crew spent over $700! LOL That's a drop in the bucket for what they need to keep the place up to par/month. I have to agree it's a vicious cycle that starts from higher up the food chain.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                    Sounds like electrolisis to me ..I am just waiting on a deal for a pro press set up.It is either a camera or pro press . For right now I would probably get more use out of a pro press..That's a toss up though. I would be scared to death the first time I pressed and turned the water back on
                    You're going to love it. I still have the same bottle of mapp gas and the same roll of solder from about two years ago on the van. Just get all stocked up on fittings and you're ready to roll. I'm using the five gallon buckets with the stackables inside them. One bucket each for 1/2 and 3/4 so I can be very mobile with the fittings. It works good.

Comment

Originally posted by davevb View Post
                      Some guys are awesome plumbers who can fix almost anything, I know a few and appreciate them greatly. Even a few on here! However, when put into a maintenance position; "Instead of getting the materials now, & doing it the right way," won't work if the purse strings are too tight. In my position I HATE putting out fires and nickel and diming things but, if the money isn't there/boss can't make them see why etc...... then you do what you have to do to get it working.
                      We had a boss here once who was used to spending money to fix things right the first time: He couldn't cut it when told he couldn't do that here. Have to wait for the money.
                      I know you guys have done something just to get by.
                      Dave,
                      I fully appreciate where you are coming from, and really respect your honesty in telling the service contractors that if the money's not there you cannot have them do the work.

It's a whole lot better than telling me to go ahead and do the job, and not pay me for 178 days. For better than 30 years, I specialized in Hotel service work. Not to name names but many were owned/operated/managed by two billionaire brothers known world wide by their last name. Early on my terms were 10 days and payment was by direct deposit within 10 days of invoice, but times change. Ten days went to 30, then 45, 60, 120, and finally my breaking point, 178 days.

On the 177 day I informed the GM that if my money wasn't in my account tomorrow morning, I'd be as famous Charlie Whitman and Lee Harvey Oswald. I guess they Googled them as he was kinda young.
                      The ACH cleared in my account at 10pm that night.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                        if you do it right you will not have a problem , and there are a lot of good people here that will help you out if needed
                        Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

We have 1 account (Apartment building) that we have maintained for 15 years now, and it seems to me that this place is mismanaging their funds, and not spending it on priorities. But yet, they want top dollar for their apartments, but won't sink the money in to maintaining them. They never missed a payment in 15 years with us, and they pay within 30 days of an invoice..so we keep doing their work. The day the money slows up, is the day I tell them my truck won't start.

Comment

Working...
                          X