X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting 6" clay with 226 soil cutter

I am tired of using my grinder to cut 6" clay pipe so I'm looking to extend my chain on my 226 in-place snap cutter so it can cut 6" clay. How many chain extensions will I need (cat. no. 33665)?

Thanks,
    Gopherbutcher

Re: Cutting 6" clay with 226 soil cutter

None.
    With one extension you extend the capacity to 8".

Comment

Will it snap it or crush it ? Just wondering.

Comment

I been snapping 6" clay soil pipe for 25+ years with out any issues.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I have been using the Ridgid soil pipe cutter No 246 for cutting clay and cast iron pipes for over thirty years and haven`t had a problem easy to install and operate and when you hear that snapping noise its cut I don`t know why anybody would use a grinder that`s hard work

Tony

Comment

Have a ridgid 246 and a wheeler. Only time I cut clay pipe is in a ditch to add a clean out. Fot that I love My 14" hilti gas saw with a diamond blade. Quick N Clean !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Have you seen the Propress version of the soil cutter? Just another excuse to buy a PP

Comment

I have seen 6" CLAY pipe crush with the ratcheting cutter. I have to cut 100+ y/o 6" clay in place tomorrow and I will use a grinder. I can't risk the pipe crushing. If it does, I have to trench farther back by HAND in clay dirt.....with a 3" CSST gas main running through the trench.

I don't mind snapping clay pipe on new installs, but I don't like snapping it in the trench

Comment

Ron, you install new clay? Why not use PVC or cast?
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Chicago still requires Clay to be used. It's no big deal, and I can show you clay sewers that are 60+ years old that are in better shape than a 5 year old plastic sewer.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                      I have seen 6" CLAY pipe crush with the ratcheting cutter. I have to cut 100+ y/o 6" clay in place tomorrow and I will use a grinder. I can't risk the pipe crushing. If it does, I have to trench farther back by HAND in clay dirt.....with a 3" CSST gas main running through the trench.

I don't mind snapping clay pipe on new installs, but I don't like snapping it in the trench
                      So my question wasn't so stupid.
                      I've crushed it also. We don't even run it around here much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Chicago still requires Clay to be used. It's no big deal, and I can show you clay sewers that are 60+ years old that are in better shape than a 5 year old plastic sewer.
                        Cut into Clay sewer pipe, in several places last week, to install some new floor drains. Inside of pipe looked like new, was installed in 1940's. Just too bad they didn't have a better sealing joint, to prevent settling, & root infestation. (too bad for owners, not us plumbers). But I couldn't imagine using it today, or what the guys at the supply house would think, if I even asked for it.

Comment

The clay i see always looks good , its a good pipe and stays round with a little root maintenance it will still be around longer than me
                          Always snaps clean , just use a soft touch on the cutter

Comment

the trick with clay is to make multiple snaps to relieve the kerf and prevent chipping when the pipe has no play in the ditch. also if you're afraid to snap, you could always tighten the cutter and use it as a wheel cutter. tighten, roll, tighten, roll.

since a snap cutter doesn't cut out any material, you need to relieve the cuts to allow for removal. i do this by snapping my 2 outside marks, then snap a few more inside cuts close to each other. then i can hit those inside cuts with a hammer to break out the clay, protecting the original outside cuts from damage or chips.

of course when there is play in the line, then it's not necessary.

clay is the best product so far. it stays clean and round with little chance of deflection at the joints. unfortunately the old joints were not root proof.

i've only seen clay rotted at a chemical plant discharging real hot water and chemicals.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              the trick with clay is to make multiple snaps to relieve the kerf and prevent chipping when the pipe has no play in the ditch. also if you're afraid to snap, you could always tighten the cutter and use it as a wheel cutter. tighten, roll, tighten, roll.

since a snap cutter doesn't cut out any material, you need to relieve the cuts to allow for removal. i do this by snapping my 2 outside marks, then snap a few more inside cuts close to each other. then i can hit those inside cuts with a hammer to break out the clay, protecting the original outside cuts from damage or chips.

of course when there is play in the line, then it's not necessary.

clay is the best product so far. it stays clean and round with little chance of deflection at the joints. unfortunately the old joints were not root proof.

i've only seen clay rotted at a chemical plant discharging real hot water and chemicals.

rick.
                              Okey, We're waiting for the PICTURES ! Welcome home
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X