X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel fuel is $4.399 a gallon

I paid $105 to fill the gas tank of my Dodge Sprinter's 24 gallon tank this morning.

Currently diesel costs nearly $1 more a gallon than gas.

I'm seriously considering adding some kind of fuel charge. I wonder if there's a way to convert to electricity. )
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Diesel fuel is $4.399 a gallon

Dude diesel is 4.95 - 5.05 per gallon here. I don't know how those sprinters run on biodiesel but my Powerstroke engines love it, keeps my fuel system clean and well lubricated and its generally cheaper (4.09 here), and the price is much more stable. Most of the guys I know who have diesels run off-road diesel and just chance it. I am going to start buying the biodiesel off-road fuel soon since they don't put dye in it. Just charge more per hour / call.
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Around here I can only find Bio-Diesel blend 5% to 20% they say at the pumps. and its $4.85 a gallon about a buck more per gallon than gas. I do not uderstand why Diesel is so much more. When I bought my sprinter, diesel used to be 50 cents cheaper than gas.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Sorry .I wouldn't own a diesel anything .Unless my k60 ran on diesel
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          Currently diesel costs nearly $1 more a gallon than gas.
          Ouch! Here the cheapest 87 is .70 cents less than diesel. I am really re-considering my use of my K20. It gets 15mpg highway, my other truck gets 10-11. For some reason I cant do the math right now to figure the cost per mile, but I am starting to think that the diesel truck is not as cheap to run despite the better fuel economy.

Ok, duh 28 cents a mile on the diesel, 35 cents a mile for the gas truck. Still the diesel seems more expensive, it uses a few more quarts of the more expensive oil, and it needs changing more frequently. The tank is smaller, needs fueling more frequently, so maybe its just the perception of how fast that gauge moves.
          Last edited by masterbeavis; 11-17-2011, 01:59 AM.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I am fed up over the price of fuel... It's killing me. I spend over 150 bucks a week on fuel now. What males me even more angry is that these prices are fully self inflicted by our elected officials lack of having a back bone and allowing domestic energy exploration. Electric cars are a pipe dream, I was some what of a fan of the idea at first, but the more I look into it, the more I see it never happening. Until the ability to generate electrical power on board the vehicle it self, via some type of reactor/generator, it just doesn't make any sense. Our monetary, energy, and production policies in this country are a joke. We are regulated on everything we do, and it gets worse everyday. I honesty am waiting for a presidential candidate that finally says, EPA, GO TO HELL, and the same thing to the seirra club. Get domestic drilling going and processing it domesticly a priority. And the whole "it will take 10 years" bullshit line is old, the last time I heard that what over ten years ago, and if we would have just grown the balls then and did it, I would bet everything I got that our economy wouldn't be in the tank and filling the tank wouldn't give you a heart attack!

Comment

About 40 years ago My friend did this. He was a one guy operator, with a small pit and dump truck. He installed a 250 gal heating oil tank. Mixed oil for lubrication in it [ marval mystery oil is great]. NO TAX! My cousin did the sameon His diesal's Question, these chevy volts owners arn't paying state and federal road tax on electricity, WE PAY FOR THEM! Plus, You subsidized their purchase ! Look at this as a blue coller Bail out from O'Bama! GOOD LUCK !
              It was #2 heating oil. Talk to some old time truckers, They'll tell You the mix. NO it doesn;t hurt the engine !
              Last edited by toolaholic; 11-17-2011, 10:18 AM.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                About 40 years ago My friend did this. He was a one guy operator, with a small pit and dump truck. He installed a 250 gal heating oil tank. Mixed oil for lubrication in it [ marval mystery oil is great]. NO TAX! My cousin did the sameon His diesal's Question, these chevy volts owners arn't paying state and federal road tax on electricity, WE PAY FOR THEM! Plus, You subsidized their purchase ! Look at this as a blue coller Bail out from O'Bama! GOOD LUCK !
                It was #2 heating oil. Talk to some old time truckers, They'll tell You the mix. NO it doesn;t hurt the engine !
                I slowly get rid of my waste motor oil that way. 3 gallons of oil every oil change.

Comment

#2 fuel oil will absolutely work in a diesel engine and vice versa, diesel will work with your oil burner. If it wasn't so expensive #1 fuel oil (Kero) would be ideal for your oil burner.

Comment

I think this link will answer why diesel fuel cost more than gasoline. Why is diesel fuel so much higher than regular gas? | Answerbag

Comment

At least you can get Diesel. Here in Western Canada there is a shortage of it due to one plant having a fire and another one shut down for maintenance.

Evening news last week quoted a Flying J truck stop Manager saying he went from getting 5 tanker deliveries a day down to one. He was limiting trucks to 200 liters per fill

I don't use it but I think when converting to US $ it was $5.22 at gallon here in my city

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
                        Dude diesel is 4.95 - 5.05 per gallon here. I don't know how those sprinters run on biodiesel but my Powerstroke engines love it, keeps my fuel system clean and well lubricated and its generally cheaper (4.09 here), and the price is much more stable. Most of the guys I know who have diesels run off-road diesel and just chance it. I am going to start buying the biodiesel off-road fuel soon since they don't put dye in it. Just charge more per hour / call.
                        Ray, getting fuel to paradise costs more. ) I have no idea where I would get biodiesel here in the Twin Cities.

What kind of mpg does your Powerstroke get? My Sprinter mileage has seemingly increased since the last time I checked. This last fillup it was a tad over 24 mpg which is a record for my vehicle. Maybe the pistons are loosening up or something. I did just have the oil changed, that usually helps too. Oh, and new Michelin tires, maybe that helped?
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Geno, I believe there is an outfit north of the cities that sells biodiesel, I'll look into it.

Comment

biodiesel cost is the same as #2 . cng is only $1.25 I am loving $18 fills on the van and hating $150 for the cummins

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              #2 fuel oil will absolutely work in a diesel engine and vice versa, diesel will work with your oil burner. If it wasn't so expensive #1 fuel oil (Kero) would be ideal for your oil burner.
                              Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                              I slowly get rid of my waste motor oil that way. 3 gallons of oil every oil change.
                              Just to clarify and hopefully save somebody an expensive repair bill..

Late model diesels cannot take anything unless it comes directly out of the pump. Older diesels on the other hand, YES you can put almost anything in. My diesel truck gets about 1-2 gallons of WMO(waste motor oil) per fill up in the tank. It is not a direct injection model, It really does not care what I put in it as long as it is not water, and ends in oil. The older injection pumps suffer beacause their is almost no lubricity in the fuel. Quality fuel additives help with this but are $$$, but injection pump replacement is bookoo bucks. Here is some good reading.

HFRR Values Of Diesel Additives
                              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                              X