X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some encouragement

As a first year your only responsibilities should be to keep the truck clean, bring me what I ask for, clean up the site after I'm gone and oh.....make sure my coffee cup stays filled.

If you are working alone and get caught, you may find yourself unemployed, your boss fined and you never get a plumbing license.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      As a first year your only responsibilities should be to keep the truck clean, bring me what I ask for, clean up the site after I'm gone and oh.....make sure my coffee cup stays filled.

If you are working alone and get caught, you may find yourself unemployed, your boss fined and you never get a plumbing license.

That would be true for here too. I don't know what the laws are in Quebec, what are they Half-Flush? This may be why you're having a hard time sometimes?

Comment

Welcome to the forum and the trade. I wish you luck on your apprenticeship, there were many times I got frustrated & discouraged and wanted to quit. Sure am glad I stuck it out and didn't. We've all had things happen to us like Seanny. I remember being a scrawny teenager, putting angle stops on and having one blow off because I didn't get it tight enough. Made a mess in a new home. That was in my first year.

As an owner now, there would be no way in hell I would let a first year apprentice do anything by himself besides dig a hole, no offense. I'm with Tony, your boss is assuming you are more knowledgeable and competent because you are older (than most apprentices). It's bad judgement on his part. I wasn't allowed to do service calls until my 3rd year(?) and I grew up in the trade (both Father and older brother are plumbers), I stocked fittings for my allowance. Even at 3 years I had call backs and leaks like tightening a wc flex and it moves the fill valve causing it to leak or forgetting to check the packings on AS after turning them off & on.
        Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
        Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

It seems as though Canada does things a little differently than what we do down here. If I'm reading their apprenticeship rules correctly, they can apply to be a Master after 2 years of being an Apprentice??
          Last edited by Flux; 11-26-2011, 02:12 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure about that flux. But the system is based on Getting 8000 hrs to become a journeyman(full plumbing ticket) school counts as 1500hrs which can be used anytime during the training process to move foward in the apprenticeship. I just used 30 school hrs to move from 1st to 2nd. This also gives me a 3.40 per hour raise. In Quebec a master plumber is anyone who owns a plumbing company and employs journeymen plumbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Half-flush View Post
              I'm not sure about that flux. But the system is based on Getting 8000 hrs to become a journeyman(full plumbing ticket) school counts as 1500hrs which can be used anytime during the training process to move foward in the apprenticeship. I just used 30 school hrs to move from 1st to 2nd. This also gives me a 3.40 per hour raise. In Quebec a master plumber is anyone who owns a plumbing company and employs journeymen plumbers.
              That's close to what I was reading last night, but I didn't realize that was Ontario rules I was reading. I think there they require 9000 hours?I also read something about how apprentices train apprentices up there? I'm assuming it depends on where you live in Canada as far as apprenticeship rules go? Regardless, you're gonna be just fine...and keep plugging away everyday...you will Master it.

Comment

Working...
              X