X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some encouragement

Arghhh! I'm just finishing my first year as an apprentice. I should be excited, but I'm nervous. I already have a lot of responsibilities ( own truck, calls, supply accounts etc....) and I'm not sure how much more I can handle right now. However I don't want to say this to my boss because I don't want him to lose confidence in me. This is a dilemma.
    Ps btw I read this forum all the time, this is my first post so go easy.

Re: Need some encouragement

The best thing I could possibly say is...each and every one of us has been in your shoes. You will find your stride and be able to handle everything thrown your way.

Comment

Pace yourself and try to not get overwhelmed.You'll be fine just keep on truckin'..And most importantly never use the words I can't
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks guys. I got in this game a little late(I'm 30) so it's easy for me to get a little ahead of myself. Every lesson learned feels a little harder (wish I learned'em when I was younger). I take mistakes to heart, and have a hard time putting them in the making me stronger category. Had a call back today, (small leak on something I put in a month ago) just undermining my confidence.
        Needless to say I'm going to carry on, and now that I'm a member here, maybe I can just vent a little, ask questions to you guys who've been in the trade for longer than I have, and just get better at this trade.

Comment

You're a breath of fresh air! In fact, You're the replacement ,We've been waiting for ! You have a caring attitude, You'll do just fine.
          Welcome aboard.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Half-flush View Post
            Arghhh! I'm just finishing my first year as an apprentice. I should be excited, but I'm nervous. I already have a lot of responsibilities ( own truck, calls, supply accounts etc....) and I'm not sure how much more I can handle right now. However I don't want to say this to my boss because I don't want him to lose confidence in me. This is a dilemma.
            Ps btw I read this forum all the time, this is my first post so go easy.
            Ditto as to what the others have written. My 2 cents is that when given a challenge you are concerned with is to ask for guidance from your boss. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Good Luck.

Comment

Do it the correct way the first time, every time. Don't ever take short cuts, they will always come back and bite you in the ***.

Comment

honestly as a first year apprentice, you should not be working unsupervised. the boss knows this and is obviously confident in your ability. don't be afraid to ask for help. 1 year in the trades is not enough experience to have been there done that.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

You could be a 5th year apprentice who (still is a clueless idiot) that the boss sends to the guys he hates knowing you will screw stuff up and make their lives hell.. It could be worse.
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

From what you are telling us your a first year apprentice and thirty years old and your boss is assuming because your thirty you should be able to work along but that is not the case as you have minimum experince in plumbing thats not your fault and your boss should know this and I think he does and is charging you out at a qualified plumbers rate when you should be supervised and charged out at a first year apprentices rate making a killing on the both of you.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                      From what you are telling us your a first year apprentice and thirty years old and your boss is assuming because your thirty you should be able to work along but that is not the case as you have minimum experince in plumbing thats not your fault and your boss should know this and I think he does and is charging you out at a qualified plumbers rate when you should be supervised and charged out at a first year apprentices rate making a killing on the both of you.

Tony
                      WOW! It's amazing what some people read into.Agreed 1 year doesn't even qualify close to even a mechanic let alone on jobs in a truck dealing with different scenarios..But don't be overwhelmed.And if you find out that your boss is not offering you the proper training / support you need bail

Comment

Good for you to take your relatively new job so seriously. Fortunately, stress usually doesn't do in 30 year olds. This may not be any consolation, but your boss is risking a lot more than you are when he puts you in a position you are not trained for. Except for a few rare situations, your actions can at most cost you your position. His liability, on the other hand, is very deep. To be successful, caring is essential. Taking your work home and agonizing over it is not. With time, everything will be revealed (at least plumbing wise). So, pay attention, ask questions when you're not sure and try to enjoy the ride.

Comment

Yep were all here for you..Welcome to the brotherhood

Comment

Thanks again guys. And you're right, my boss has a lot more to risk than I do. Just gotta see it that way.
                            Had a much better day today. Changed hw tank, repaired a leaking shower and cleared a hansa thermostatic shwr valve of debris (and put it back together). Probably made my boss a mint. Made probably 100 bux myself(after tax). Feeling a lot less stressed thanks in part to your words of encouragement. Nice to know I'm not alone out there.
                            Making me wonder, do you guys remember your first service calls? Ones that went great or went really bad? Would love to celebrate 'em or co-miserate 'em!

Comment

I did commercial condos, √* city hall and what Not for th√© first year and √* half of my on th√© job training then i had a friend of my dads give his church my number to replace a old faucet. Double compartment cast iron kitchen sink took basin wrench couldnt get old nuts off finally cut them with a hack saw blade thats when the old rotten counter top broke pinning me under the sink and braking the drain into a mangled mess. Their were only to old ladys there watching me so i manged to get out from underneath. Laminated a new peice of 3/4 plywood on the counter and reset the sink except. I grabbed the new faucet as i was trying to man handle this heavy *** sink and broke the spout off the new faucet... So after buying them a new faucet reinstalling the sink i think i made twenty bucks.. i hated service for a little bit after that. But it all came down to inexperience.. dont let a leak get you downanyone who says they never get a leak must not be putting pipe in, leaks happen you just get better at avoiding them... Welcome to the forum these guys are full of info and advise .... Very helpful, life savers at times seanny

Comment

Working...
                              X