X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saltwater vs cast iron

Just learned that saltwater will damage cast iron pipe because it removes the iron and leaves graphite and the residue becomes cathodic and further breaks down the pipe.

Have any of you seen the salt in the soil break down CI? Also, is this "graphite" the same hard brittle black material found in CI drain lines from the kitchen and laundry?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Saltwater vs cast iron

ben, catalina island / 26 miles off the l.a. coast has a huge issue with this. a combination of saltwater toilets and the proximity to the beach has made catalina island one of the most contaminated beaches in the country.

didn't see the signs that were covered and torn down when we went there last july 4th.

thanks for the call last week. i was still out of town, but appreciate the call.

hope all is well and happy turkey day.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Found the same problem a few years ago after a large convenience store chain installed those high volume soda fountains. Soda=Sodium=Salt.
      We had 7 hours to saw cut approx. 60lf, jackhammer, excavate, replace 4" cast iron with ABS, backfill, pour concrete, and cover with 3/4" plywood. 10pm-5am.
      Big money!! 40+ stores.

Comment

Yep, we get a dozen or more calls from York, Ogunquit, Wells, Rye, Hampton, Salsbury beach home owners every year for disintegrated CI lines
        sigpic

Comment

In my area, many of the towns adjacent to the bay don't allow CI below ground in areas that used to be marshland because of what is termed hot soil (saline saturated landfill).

Comment

That's why the NAVY scrapped all those cast iron frigates !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

They scrap everything, even after dumping 20mil into it 1 year ago.
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Hell yeah, see it everyday. The guys doing relining are making a killing, especially on O'ahu. If I had the capital I would seriously consider and investment in the equipment.
                Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  That's why the NAVY scrapped all those cast iron frigates !

I once dived on an intentionally sunk navy vessel, I believe in Guam, where the hull was made of concrete. Yep. Concrete, cement, mud. Some design engineers can be very creative.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                  X