Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about pressing tools/fittings

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about pressing tools/fittings

    Hey! I had an interesting conversation with a guy who works at the supply house. Niether of us has used a pressing tool but are both interested in it. One question that came up is how would you go about removing a fitting if it leaked or needed to be changed. With standard soldering tecniques you can "sweat" the fitting off. Is there any way to do similar things with pressed fittings?

  • #2
    Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

    Half-flush,

    You can't remove and reuse press fittings like sweat fittings. Once you install (press) the fitting in, its in. You can rotate it on the tube to reposition (usually have to recrimp), but you have to cut it out if you want to remove it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

      Originally posted by Ed M. View Post
      Half-flush,

      You can't remove and reuse press fittings like sweat fittings. Once you install (press) the fitting in, its in. You can rotate it on the tube to reposition (usually have to recrimp), but you have to cut it out if you want to remove it.
      Ed are you talking about ProPress fittings? I've never had a fitting turn after it was pressed. If that did happen I would most likely cut it out and replace it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

        propress/ viege allows you to muscle the fitting up to 5 degrees without re crimping. more than 5 degrees you re crimp. great feature with swing joints. i've done it before and it's an extra 5 seconds to re crimp

        remember that the smaller fittings are much easier to turn. 1.5'' and up wil require some leverage. you don't use a wrench. you use the pipe that's connected to it.

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

          I install them most every day. I've never forced a fitting to turn after I've pressed it and don't think I would. News to me though, thanks.


          I found this on the Viega website. I've had fittings that felt loose especially a street 90 and have re pressed them, didn't realize they actually have a rule for it. Good to know.:

          Can you turn a pressed fitting without damaging the integrity of the connection?


          Yes. The fitting can be turned, although not by hand, and will not affect the integrity of the connection. As a general rule of thumb, if the fitting is turned more than 5° it must be repressed to restore the resistance to rotational movement.
          Last edited by ironranger; 12-02-2011, 11:34 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

            I did a bunch of propress 3/4" yesterday. Messed up on a prefabbed elbow and was going to throw it away but instead I tried turning it by hand, no matter how hard I tried it would not budge. So I took the pliers to it and got it to turn. I would not trust the joint after turning it with tools and I'll never do it, I would rather cut it out if I made a mistake and make a new joint. Just my opinion.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

              Originally posted by Half-flush View Post
              Hey! I had an interesting conversation with a guy who works at the supply house. Niether of us has used a pressing tool but are both interested in it. One question that came up is how would you go about removing a fitting if it leaked or needed to be changed. With standard soldering tecniques you can "sweat" the fitting off. Is there any way to do similar things with pressed fittings?
              First off if you instal the fitting the right way you wont have a leak
              if you do have one because you did not know you cut the O ring then either cut it off or cut it out and use a new fitting and two couplings ,still much faster then re soldering it
              Charlie

              My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


              http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

              new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

                Are the couplings slip or do you have to buy (or do they make) slip couplings
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

                  they make slip couplings, but be prepared to spend 2x the cost for the slip as you do for the stop couplings. especially in the smaller sizes.

                  had many, many conversations about this with the big wigs from viega.

                  rick.
                  phoebe it is

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

                    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    they make slip couplings, but be prepared to spend 2x the cost for the slip as you do for the stop couplings. especially in the smaller sizes.

                    had many, many conversations about this with the big wigs from viega.

                    rick.
                    I hear ya Rick. I'm not happy about that either. You would think no stop couplings would be cheaper. I don't get it, makes no sense to me.

                    So when is their patent up so I can buy generic fittings?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

                      I have used elkhart I think is the name and there slip coupling 1/2" is like around 4" end to end!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Question about pressing tools/fittings

                        Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                        I have used elkhart I think is the name and there slip coupling 1/2" is like around 4" end to end!
                        I found their catalog, interesting. I've never tried them but if they're competitive who knows.

                        http://www.elkhartproducts.com/downl...s_brochure.pdf

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X