Call Before You Clear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Call Before You Clear

This is a set up! If You don't call,and hit their plastic in the H.O.'S sewer ,You're screwed ! Lawyers wrote this one up
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

So, if you hit their gas pipe and blow up the house, and possibly kill someone, it's going to be the plumbers fault and not the gas co. ?
      Thats BS., and they know it!
      You sure can bet the lawyers told them to get this out there quick.
      Idid like the guy saying 20,000 psi.. Aw heck, Rick has one of them..

Comment

Actually I have 2

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
          Unrelated to Gas lines but pretty funny story. Happened about eight years ago.

My next door neighbor were I used to live worked for AT&T. Cox had one of there sub contractors horizontal boring and installing Fiber Optics lines in Newport Beach when they went through an underground phone valt. Then spun through and severed a 50,000 line main phone hub. My neighbor got called out on the repair. He was gone for like two weeks. When he got back I asked him how they repair something like this and he says. "One wire at a time." They literally throw 2-4 guys into the pit and all they do is splice lines back together. He said that when they have major repairs like this AT&T contracts out a full time catering company to provide food for the guys 24/7 along with several of those Movie set trailers for the guys to sleep in and take breaks.

Same thing happened on a job I worked many years ago (late 70s). We were running the underground for an addition to a school campus and had a sub working for us doing the excavation work hit a telephone trunk line and cut off the southern half of the county from the world. AT&T was there 24/7 for almost a week splicing all those wires back together. The excavation contractor picked up the tab. Needless to say they lost money on that job. I'm sure their insurance kicked in but still.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I'm gonna bump this. Got a call last night from a HO, plumber had been there for 2 hours trying to clear a blockage in an Orangeburg sewer, finally gave up and told them they better call us to camera the line. Went there this morning and sure enough, there's the gas line and tracer wire clear as can be. Called the gas company and they are on their way out to repair both the sewer and their scuffed up gas line (not leaking but scuffed up good).

I don't have as good of track record as Rick. I've been doing this just under two years and have already come across two gas lines in sewers.

Comment

They're just now starting to do this up here and already I got one call also to camera a sewer line. Lucky though, no gas line. I hung it up, I won't be doing anymore main sewers. Not that I did a lot before but now that the State is using us as scape goats I'm not playing.

Comment

Why doesnt the gas company camera the line after the gas line install to complete the job they just did? It would be cheaper than what they paid for the PSA.
                26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  They're just now starting to do this up here and already I got one call also to camera a sewer line. Lucky though, no gas line. I hung it up, I won't be doing anymore main sewers. Not that I did a lot before but now that the State is using us as scape goats I'm not playing.
                  I don't think it's the State that's trying to make you the scapegoat, I think it's more likely that your gas company and/or their subs are trying to figure out how to weasel out from between the rock and hard spot they are in. I don't think it's going to be that easy, though, liability is liability and as long as you abide by the precautions I think you'd be fine, but when push comes to shove they started trying to claim that they're not liable I think you'd see a large class action from all the homeowners and plumbers who are affected.

It's them that screwed up, not you. You can't just build a website and put out some flyers and suddenly release yourself from any liability that you might have had if you, for instance, dug through a gas line while installing a sewer. I think if it came to litigation they would still be liable.

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
                    Why doesnt the gas company camera the line after the gas line install to complete the job they just did? It would be cheaper than what they paid for the PSA.
                    problem is they haven't a clue where they bored and it took years and years before they started to be concerned about it.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Haven't had this issue yet in Oklahoma City. Sure makes me nervous though. So are we suppose to call out a locate on a sewer call? So if sewage is backing up into someones home we are suppose to tell the costumer

"Ma'am, we can get out there as soon as a location of the utilities is done. That could take 4 hours or two days to get them out there for the locate. Would that be ok with you?"

That is going to go over well. 100% guaranteed way to lose a customer.
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Working...
                      X