Call Before You Clear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Before You Clear

Got a letter and a DVD in the mail today. In Minnesota they want us to call the utility company before we clear any sewers. Here's the website and the actual video, check out the houses exploding near the end. Makes ya think doesn't it?

Question I have is this; if you have a blocked sewer then how the heck am I going to use my camera to inspect if it's full of dirty water? It doesn't work like that.

I don't do that many sewer calls to begin with. I may just hang it up and leave the sewers to Roto Rooter and such.

Call Before You Clear | Call your local utility company before you clear your sewer pipe. KNOW WHAT'S INSIDE

Re: Call Before You Clear

The test to whether this works on not is going to be the response time of the utility. If they really cared about safety they would have inspected for sewers before boring for the gas line.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

At 4:01 in the video he says a jetter runs at 20,000 PSI, man I want a jetter like that.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Agree with Mark, why don't the Utility companies locate and watch what they are doing, before they install gas mains?

It's true what they say, common sense does NOT always prevail in some people.

Comment

I had a home owner call me to locate her sewer. She got a letter from a local utility company stating they are doing a directional bore in her area, and her sewer and water service are not part of the JULIE locate service and if she does not have it located by the day of the bore, and they hit her service they are not responsible. So I located her sewer and water along with marked the depth for the guys. The utility workers where a tad upset since the sewer was right in the bore path.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Seems to me they're trying to cover their azzz. They want ME to camera all lines now when I get a call for a blockage? How do we do that when they're full of dirty water? It's not going to happen.

Comment

Isn't that like putting the cart before the horse?
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

i have written about this for over a year now and have had some follow up conversations with our utility company and their reps.

it should be the gas providers responsibility to locate and id the lines they did blind boring installations. they then should send out a camera person to check the sewer line for integrity.

we are only being made aware of the potential and if we suspect there is a chance of a gas line or any other utility line entering the customers sewer, then it's up to us to notify the utility company of this.

in all the years and the thousands of lines i've snaked, i've hit 2. 1 was a gas line i cut with my 7500 and 1 was a conduit that entered the phone companies own sewer.

not a bad run in 37 years and only hit 2. of course there are countless times i've found other hits that didn't involve a utility companies lines.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  Seems to me they're trying to cover their azzz. They want ME to camera all lines now when I get a call for a blockage? How do we do that when they're full of dirty water? It's not going to happen.
                  Not only CYA but also pass the buck. They are trying to shift the cost of location and liability for damages along to the public as well as the guy trying to clear the sewer they bunged up.

Comment

If the utility cuts it and their pipe is in the line
                    Its fair game to me !

Comment

Had a call in 2003 for lost power on one leg of the electric service out we saw cut the concrete
                      and excavate to find that the power company bored through there own service,they just nicked three 3 in conduits with there gas line.

Comment

Just one question when the utility company puts its camera down a blocked sewerage pipe how does their camera see anything as the pipe is not blocked with clear water it a combination of sh*t toilet paper and grey water and nothing can be seen before I can put my Ridgid camera in I have to partially clear it to see anything.

Tony

Comment

there are a couple ways to tell. typically if you go in slow and don't stir up the sludge, you can get a decent picture the first time around.

but you can always get a location on the stopped camera. then they can get a location of their hdpe poly line since it typically will have a tracer wire. if the 2 marks come close to overlapping, it's a hit

i've camered many lines for others that couldn't clear and push out to the same distance as their snake and get stopped. mark it and dig it. usually there is the answer buried below.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Unrelated to Gas lines but pretty funny story. Happened about eight years ago.

My next door neighbor were I used to live worked for AT&T. Cox had one of there sub contractors horizontal boring and installing Fiber Optics lines in Newport Beach when they went through an underground phone valt. Then spun through and severed a 50,000 line main phone hub. My neighbor got called out on the repair. He was gone for like two weeks. When he got back I asked him how they repair something like this and he says. "One wire at a time." They literally throw 2-4 guys into the pit and all they do is splice lines back together. He said that when they have major repairs like this AT&T contracts out a full time catering company to provide food for the guys 24/7 along with several of those Movie set trailers for the guys to sleep in and take breaks.

Oh, and how about this for arrogance. When Cox found out that there sub-contractor severed the line they had there entire sales force going through both residential and high rise commercial properties trying to sell Cable/INTERNET/phone services to AT&T customers. Basically telling them that if they were with Cox they would have never had interrupted service. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                              Just one question when the utility company puts its camera down a blocked sewerage pipe how does their camera see anything as the pipe is not blocked with clear water it a combination of sh*t toilet paper and grey water and nothing can be seen before I can put my Ridgid camera in I have to partially clear it to see anything.

Tony

Exactly...... I have never been able to see anything when my camera hits water. The camera itself will stir up the soupy mess. I have no idea what they are thinking. I think they're not.

Comment

Working...
                              X