Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A Disgrace to the Craft"

Gentleman and Craftsmen,

My first post (I say that with true pride). I have a serious issue, I ve been in the trade for 10 years now, I did my 5 year apprenticship and obtain my license blah , blah etc. So to say all that I like many others can appreciate good craftsmanship and creativity. Im one who takes a since of pride in his work. I never claim to be the best and by far am I an so called "expert". But Crap is crap. And when I see someone come into my profression and just throw junk in and call it plumbing. I get a little offended. Now, I am all for anyone trying on ther own (DIY'S) But I m not for anyone out here passing themselves off as plumbers when you didn't put your time in. Just because you see Mike Holmes on T.V. doing a migshift plumbing job and calling it good work, doesn't mean you can go out and charge a person for crap, while calling yourself a "Plumber". Please, Please, STOP IT NOW, Your killing the profression. Im the guy thats got explain to the customer or contractor why I have to charge this price. Because the handyman, you hired at the HOME DEPOT is not a damn plumber. This is insane. Here are a couple of pics where I had to bid on a job for a contractor to do the entire plumbing in the house. You can see where the plumber before connected all the pipe with fernco rubber couplings. (Do you See this, I did make this up. This is why I had to take a pic of it.) Then you can also see them going threw the main load bearing beam of the House. This is a ULTIMATE NO NO!!!! For all who may have not known, this is structural. It is the main support beam for the house. By any means in any code I have seen, you are not to boar, cut, or notch anything into it. I dont wanna discourage anyone. Im just saying take a little pride in your work, If you dont know ask someone. If you still not sure, Please call a licensed professional. Someone who is familiar with this type of work. TIs that to much to ask?
    Attached Files
    Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
    crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Re: "A Disgrace to the Craft"

Love the "bellies" in the pipe.

Comment

I like the hangars on the pipe.

Comment

welcome to the world of you get what you pay for.

unfortunately the customer is not always aware of the problem and they get short changed.

i always tell people to get recommendations from friends, family and neighbors. never just rely on a big print add. chances are they need to advertise just to sucker in new people.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Pretty sure that 4.5" hole in the main beam didn't help the structure much

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
            Gentleman and Craftsmen,

My first post (I say that with true pride). I have a serious issue, I ve been in the trade for 10 years now, I did my 5 year apprenticship and obtain my license blah , blah etc. So to say all that I like many others can appreciate good craftsmanship and creativity. Im one who takes a since of pride in his work. I never claim to be the best and by far am I an so called "expert". But Crap is crap. And when I see someone come into my profression and just throw junk in and call it plumbing. I get a little offended. Now, I am all for anyone trying on ther own (DIY'S) But I m not for anyone out here passing themselves off as plumbers when you didn't put your time in. Just because you see Mike Holmes on T.V. doing a migshift plumbing job and calling it good work, doesn't mean you can go out and charge a person for crap, while calling yourself a "Plumber". Please, Please, STOP IT NOW, Your killing the profression. Im the guy thats got explain to the customer or contractor why I have to charge this price. Because the handyman, you hired at the HOME DEPOT is not a damn plumber. This is insane. Here are a couple of pics where I had to bid on a job for a contractor to do the entire plumbing in the house. You can see where the plumber before connected all the pipe with fernco rubber couplings. (Do you See this, I did make this up. This is why I had to take a pic of it.) Then you can also see them going threw the main load bearing beam of the House. This is a ULTIMATE NO NO!!!! For all who may have not known, this is structural. It is the main support beam for the house. By any means in any code I have seen, you are not to boar, cut, or notch anything into it. I dont wanna discourage anyone. Im just saying take a little pride in your work, If you dont know ask someone. If you still not sure, Please call a licensed professional. Someone who is familiar with this type of work. TIs that to much to ask?
            Looks like the plumber laid out the stair stringers, 9"rise, 6" tread ! Even that shack doesn't deserves that plumbing! UBC rule on cutting floor joists, not "BEAMS" !!Hole must be centered, No closer than 2" from either edge, No more than 1/3rd the height . Any holes in that carrying stick would need a struct. Engineered plan with stamp.
            Last edited by toolaholic; 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM. Reason: I'M SOBER NOW
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Looks like the plumber laid out the stair stringers, 9"rise, 6" tread ! Even that shack doesn't deserves that plumbing! UBC rule on cutting floor joists, not "BEAMS" !!Hole must be centered, No closer than 2" from either edge, No more than 1/3rd the height . Any holes in that carrying stick would need a struct. Engineered plan with stamp.
              Totally agree. I wish the guy who had did this would have taken out the time to do his homework as well. You all were right in your responses. it comes down basically to what PLUMBER RICK said "you get what you pay for" But unfortunately the homeowner bites it in the end. I was told later after this was all done. It cost the homeowner an Additonal $5,000 bucks in structural repairs. All because you wanted to save a couple of hundred. It just doesn't make $ense.

Comment

Yea the guy screwed up but 5K for repairs because of the hole? A couple of these and it's fixed:

http://usa.global-free-classified-ad...es/4822187.jpg

You should see some of the basements around here. A lot of the homes around here were moved from other locations because of mining. The old timers knew what worked and what would last, would never pass code today but they're still standing.

Comment

[QUOTE=ironranger;367011]Yea the guy screwed up but 5K for repairs because of the hole? A couple of these and it's fixed:

http://usa.global-free-classified-ad...es/4822187.jpg

Yhea your right on the Jacks for support. But You know the average homeowner does not want see those eye soars. Plus of course they wanted a open concept. Hey it pays to live lavish, must be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
                    Totally agree. I wish the guy who had did this would have taken out the time to do his homework as well. You all were right in your responses. it comes down basically to what PLUMBER RICK said "you get what you pay for" But unfortunately the homeowner bites it in the end. I was told later after this was all done. It cost the homeowner an Additonal $5,000 bucks in structural repairs. All because you wanted to save a couple of hundred. It just doesn't make $ense.
                    In a way it does make sense, because the customer is ALWAYS right no matter what, even though we as Professionals might disagree with their logic. How many times have you walked in a customers home and they say something along the lines of " It's not a big job - it won't take you long - I just need this part replaced, it shouldn't cost much".

Not to sound insensitive towards homeowners, but I absolutely have no sympathy for any homeowner who doesn't listen to the opinion of a Professional contractor on how to fix a problem correctly.
                    Last edited by Flux; 12-13-2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Fast, cheap and easy............................strikes again Thank you Home Depot, God bless you Lowe's
                      sigpic

Comment

I need to start taking pictures. I could easily top that.
                        Maybey not as bad structurely but as for sloppy plumbing I seen a lot worse.
                        Looks like a carpenters problem LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreyplumber View Post
                          I need to start taking pictures. I could easily top that.
                          Maybey not as bad structurely but as for sloppy plumbing I seen a lot worse.
                          Looks like a carpenters problem LOL
                          We like looking at pics. Gives us all something to converse about.
                          Snap away!

Comment

However sometimes in these situations the customer pays more than they should and then end up with work like that. Yes plumbers like that give pro's a bad name. It also makes it easy for others to shine and look like a night in shining armor! I at times do not feel sorry for customers that cant see the semi that is running thru their house blowing so much smoke up their *** ! It is nice working with customers who have some type of knowledge and understanding of the problems we may run in to trying to repair something from on their home.

Comment

Ouach ...

Comment

Working...
                              X