Check this out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check this out

I had to install a pedestal Lav today, and so I had to rip out a wall hung sink first. I was checking out the valves, and I've never seen anything like this before in my career. Homeowner told me the valves are at least 50 years old, and the ironic thing was...they still worked like a charm.

I installed 2 Brass craft 3/8 multi turns, and the sad thing is, they won't last half as long as these old ones.

Has anyone ever seen these valves before?
    Attached Files

Re: Check this out

Pretty common around here. Most are either by Chicago Faucerts or Crane. Here is a pic of newer Chicago Faucet stops.
    Attached Files
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      Pretty common around here. Most are either by Chicago Faucerts or Crane. Here is a pic of newer Chicago Faucet stops.
      The thing that amazed me about these valves were...they were loose turning as they day I'm sure they were installed. I fully expected to have to put a wrench to them to get them to close, and all I used were my finger tips. I'm now curious to know what the guts of the valve look like, as I never experienced anything like it with a valve that old.

Are Chicago faucets the same way with their valves and faucets as far as how they turn and longevity?

Comment

I go into homes that are 80+ years old with the Chicago Faucet stops and they work like the day they where installed. Never had the need to change one.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I love old stuff like that that works so nice. Those are works of art.

I hate stops that wont stop. I hate that now that folks started to get clued in that 1/4 turn stops are often made better everyone started making cheap junky 1/4 turn stops.

I'm ordering a $6000 couch tomorrow. I'm a sucker for classic design and for quality, and I need a couch. I went to Ikea and looked at all their crap first. I looked at Sofa-mart and AFW's crap on line. I sat in the parking lot of the Stickley funiture store for about 10 minutes before walking in because I knew I'd find the one I wanted and I knew how much it would hurt.

I'm buying a $6000 couch, not because I'm rolling in it but because I appreciate quality. And customers get bent because I want the $16 I paid for it to install a decent stop instead of crap.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Ace, on Monday when I go back to the shop, I might dig those valves back out of my scrap bucket and save them.

The other neat part was, the riser tubes were flared onto this valve.

Comment

i installed those fancy kohler stops for just my toilets as everything else is in cabinets.

but i actually had a similar kohler 1 fail and would not shut off. as if the stem thread was stripped and as you tightened it, the stem would slip.

brasscraft is pretty much the standard stop here.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

nice find. Makes you think about the craftsman ship from way back then. And yet we make stuff now that wont even last half as long. Never heard of Chicago faucet. Definelty going to check them out. Stanks alot fellas. good info
                Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
                crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Nice stops! For Hi quality I only have used Chicago (mostly on public schools) you pick it up and it weighs 5 pounds I mean they are hefty the finish is awesome and they work great. My guess is they set you back 25 bucks or so. Had to pick up some stops at lowes and they were crap I had to take one back (Heck I only purchased 2) 50% reject rate.

Comment

Working...
                  X