Winterizing and Dewinterizing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Winterizing and Dewinterizing?

I think he will be alright shutting the water off at meter and blowing out lines and adding antifreeze in drains. This person lives in Texas not really known for having really harsh winters like you guys from michigan and colorado. I live in Arkansas and have never had a problem Doing just that even in the worst winters I have ever seen here. And he is further south where frost line probably isnt even six inches.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
      We do a lot of winterizing every year and $150.00 just doesn't cut it at all. If you make a mistake, watch how fast that Realtor goes after your business insurance.

We had a disagreement with a Realtor a couple of years ago, cause she didn't like our price. She said "This is what we pay", and our response was "this is what we charge, so I guess we are at a stalemate". Not to sound cocky, but I would never let a homeowner and especially a Realtor tell me what they are going to pay. I'll tell them what I want to perform a service for them, just like the IRS tells me what I have to pay.
      Hey Flux,
      your preaching to the choir buddy, I refuse to let anyone dictate my price as well. The companies here will make deals with you if you give them a set price, and they will give u so many houses. So its a good way to set up some quick cash flow. But believe when I say I also have a set price and more time than I can count, I will lose the job because the realtor/contractor will want a lower price. I tell them straight up, that its this way or nothing. because some of these houses can be real dumps, and I need to be compensated for putting my health/life at risk.
      Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
      crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
        Hey Flux,
        your preaching to the choir buddy, I refuse to let anyone dictate my price as well. The companies here will make deals with you if you give them a set price, and they will give u so many houses. So its a good way to set up some quick cash flow. But believe when I say I also have a set price and more time than I can count, I will lose the job because the realtor/contractor will want a lower price. I tell them straight up, that its this way or nothing. because some of these houses can be real dumps, and I need to be compensated for putting my health/life at risk.
        Re-read what you just posted there, as anybody giving you a "deal" is dictating what they want to pay you. If you refuse to be dictated to like you typed above, you wouldn't be accepting deals.

I'm just looking out for your best interest, as your human just like I am, and mistakes can be made when winterizing a home. 1 mistake could result in thousands of dollars worth of damage, and since you're a Journeyman your bosses insurance will be on the hook. If you're "moonlighting" winterizing homes, I just don't think that's a smart idea for you without any insurance.

The minimum I go into a house to winterize is $500.00...putting everything back together and testing the system is another $500.00. That $1,000.00 covers my a$$ for any small damage or any deductibles from my Insurance company for larger claims.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          Re-read what you just posted there, as anybody giving you a "deal" is dictating what they want to pay you. If you refuse to be dictated to like you typed above, you wouldn't be accepting deals.

I'm just looking out for your best interest, as your human just like I am, and mistakes can be made when winterizing a home. 1 mistake could result in thousands of dollars worth of damage, and since you're a Journeyman your bosses insurance will be on the hook. If you're "moonlighting" winterizing homes, I just don't think that's a smart idea for you without any insurance.

The minimum I go into a house to winterize is $500.00...putting everything back together and testing the system is another $500.00. That $1,000.00 covers my a$$ for any small damage or any deductibles from my Insurance company for larger claims.
          WOW FLUX, You can actually command that type of money. I commend you. Well Im sorry, there is no way you can command that in this market. I guess pricing is subject to your market. I also agree to a certain extent to what you said earlier in your quote about the risk you take and insurance being a issue. Here its just not possible. But I will definetly keep that in mind when Im in the keystone state. Thanks
          Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
          crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Winterizing really depends on the part of the country and how severe the winters get. In coastal South Carolina we get some occasional freezing temps but nothing like extended freezes. Exposed pipes will freeze if not protected. Often the winterizing consists of leaving a faucet drip so there is enough water moving to prevent freezing. For a house that is unoccupied (like a beach house), it is enough to turn the water off at the curb stop and open a few hose bibs. Freezing of a toilet is not a real issue. Water heaters are not drained unless they are outside the building.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
              WOW FLUX, You can actually command that type of money. I commend you. Well Im sorry, there is no way you can command that in this market. I guess pricing is subject to your market. I also agree to a certain extent to what you said earlier in your quote about the risk you take and insurance being a issue. Here its just not possible. But I will definetly keep that in mind when Im in the keystone state. Thanks
              When we had a dispute with that one Realtor, she told us her Realty company only pays $300.00 for winterizing and that was to include us going back in the spring to hook everything back up. She brought this to our attention because we winterized a home for them, and charged our normal price, and they didn't like that.(they paid it) But all Realty companies are not the same, as we winterize for a couple of companies, and they don't even blink an eye at our price as others are even higher than us.

We look at it like this...we are not going to walk into a a $250k + house and winterize it for $100.00 - $150.00 for the simple reason of liability issues. Yes we have insurance and they have our back, but we feel as though we should protect our insurance company as well. Like I'm sure you have down there...hydronic heating systems are also in the equation to winterize and $150.00 does even start the conversation for us.

Tell a Realty company you're only going to pay them 1% for selling your house, and watch how fast they cry foul.
              Last edited by Flux; 12-21-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X