X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing and Dewinterizing?

What exactly do each of these tasks entail? residential homes. thank you for your response in advance?

Im asking because im trying to get in with a realtor and dont want to look like an idiot.
    Last edited by Mr.CityWide; 12-17-2011, 08:12 PM.

Re: Winterizing and Dewinterizing?

Now you have brought it up I would also like to know

Tony

Comment

To winterize is to remove water from system and fill traps with antifreeze and dewinterize is to turn the water back on to the property and fill everything back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Killing time View Post
        To winterize is to remove water from system and fill traps with antifreeze and dewinterize is to turn the water back on to the property and fill everything back up.
        It sounds awful it gets that cold no I couldn`t live in the US I like warmer weather where the temperature never gets below freezing and the sun shines some of the time

Tony

Comment

In much of the US the sun shines it just my be cold, for example Denver Colorado claims 300 days of sun shine, but some of those day may be -20 F, in the winter time, and maybe 104F on the other extreme in July, If you want cold come to Denver during the Nation Western Stock Show, (many times considered the coldest two weeks of the winter) the locals just call it "stock show weather",

but much of the US has a lot of sun,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

... and fill traps with antifreeze...
            Specifically, RV/marine antifreeze, which has no ethylene glycol.
            Also often forgotten (until the thaw) is the pump in the dishwasher and washing machine, and the humidifier or dehumidifier if one is present. Also remember to drain the AC condensate pump/sump if there is one, and drain the lines to the 'fridge ice maker (there's often loops which hold water). And don't forget the flex lines for the sink sprayer and hand-held shower doo-dad.
            Last edited by Doctordeere; 12-18-2011, 12:06 PM. Reason: Forgot something (I'm old... cut me some slack)
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Whats a reasonable price? Also what requirements do i need to meet in order to make everything all legal? I'm in Texas and i have a journeyman plumbing license.

Comment

Here in Columbus, there are handyman / property management operations that do it, and I don't think there are any legalities involved. The good outfits use compressed air & blow out the lines from the meter setting so water trapped in the pipes in the walls doesn't freeze. They do the same thing for the irrigation systems.

Comment

Prices are not discussed here for the most part.

Regarding being "legal", there are no laws regarding the legality of doing this. What I always do is write a disclaimer. I am not responsible for any freeze damage even if I do the work, period.

I've seen dozens of homes that were winterized and end up with problems. Up here when it's 50 below zero and you don't have heat it just happens and anyone would be nuts to guarantee a winterizing job.

I'll do the work, it's a service. But I won't guarantee any of it. Just the way it is.

Also I don't care what kind of anti-freeze you use. I've seen all of them freeze solid blowing apart toilets and traps.

Comment

sorry, wasnt thinking when i asked that question. I wouldnt have thought about the disclaimer, i really appreciate all the advice.

Comment

I won't even do it. I thawed a line to a septic system and turned on the guy's well to do it, then followed his instructions posted by the well power switch to the letter for draining the house, then got blamed for the freeze that happened in his unheated house later that winter during a -40 F (temp, not windchill, temp) cold snap. Won't even touch them anymore.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I've seen the sides of ball valves split, when they were drained, due to water in the sides, that can't be drained.

Comment

I agree. Its the same here in Maryland. A lot of Realtors will start to make calls about this time asking for this service. They hold a lot of properties on there books and need this done to make it threw the sometimes rough winters. This also kees the sewer gases and rodents/bugs from taking a toll on the property as well. Guys you cant imagine what one of these homes smell like after the winter is over and no one put anything down the trap for almost 4-6 months. I honestly sometimes charge more for thos homes that have that unbearable funk. but its a good quick cheap service you can make a few bucks on. We have companies here that contract this work out for usually about $100 - $150 bucks per house. Its about an hour and half of work. Simple. Blow out lines with compressor, shut off all valves, drain water heater, antifreeze traps, drain hoses bibs and cover, etc. not bad
                          Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
                          crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
                            I agree. Its the same here in Maryland. A lot of Realtors will start to make calls about this time asking for this service. They hold a lot of properties on there books and need this done to make it threw the sometimes rough winters. This also kees the sewer gases and rodents/bugs from taking a toll on the property as well. Guys you cant imagine what one of these homes smell like after the winter is over and no one put anything down the trap for almost 4-6 months. I honestly sometimes charge more for thos homes that have that unbearable funk. but its a good quick cheap service you can make a few bucks on. We have companies here that contract this work out for usually about $100 - $150 bucks per house. Its about an hour and half of work. Simple. Blow out lines with compressor, shut off all valves, drain water heater, antifreeze traps, drain hoses bibs and cover, etc. not bad
                            What about the water service pipe, that comes up through floor, inside dwelling, & would be exposed to freezing temps? How do you winterize that, without shutting it off at street and draining? Finding the curb stop , & getting it to shut off, could take an hr or more. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
                              We do a lot of winterizing every year and $150.00 just doesn't cut it at all. If you make a mistake, watch how fast that Realtor goes after your business insurance.

We had a disagreement with a Realtor a couple of years ago, cause she didn't like our price. She said "This is what we pay", and our response was "this is what we charge, so I guess we are at a stalemate". Not to sound cocky, but I would never let a homeowner and especially a Realtor tell me what they are going to pay. I'll tell them what I want to perform a service for them, just like the IRS tells me what I have to pay.

Comment

Working...
                              X