X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Idea's?

I have a hotel that is two stories and one main shutoff. The problem is I have a strait stop going to the toilet that needs to be replaced. Now here is the tricky part it comes straight out of the concrete floor inside of a small area that has been blocked out for the pipe and the stop is soldered on and the solder joint is right at floor level. The blocked out area is maybe 2 inches squared at best. How would you fix this?

Re: Any Idea's?

Can you rebuild thé stop what brands is it? Id try that first.

Comment

I would shut off the building water, and drain down the system, After making sure all the water is out of the valve and the pipe you are removing, heat up the valve at floor level and pull it off with channelocks, Then prep the pipe for soldering and sweat on a 1/2" copper mip adapter. Then install a new threaded staight stop on. Turn water back on.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
        Can you rebuild thé stop what brands is it? Id try that first.
        I dont know what brand it is. Its had to many pair of channel locks on it. the handle is gone and they have been using channel locks ot shut it off ond on.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
          I would shut off the building water, and drain down the system, After making sure all the water is out of the valve and the pipe you are removing, heat up the valve at floor level and pull it off with channelocks, Then prep the pipe for soldering and sweat on a 1/2" copper mip adapter. Then install a new threaded staight stop on. Turn water back on.
          Thats kinda what my thoughts are but they are concerned about how long the water would be down.

Comment

Sweat it off and use * compresion stop.... Or rebuild thé valve .... Last option is to get * dahl 3/8 female sop by 3/8 mâle and just thread it on top of existing valve leave Old valve open know they got * Ball valve and you dont even have to turn thé building off..: hope This helps seanny

Comment

Any chance you can access the pipe from the room below and freeze it?

Comment

Sounds like real tight space. Explain to the customer.....

Comment

Tell him a handyman can do it like 5 seonds. I Won't do it myself. Because I charge more , and I take pride in myself, and my work.If he does't get it you don't need that customer..FACT.....? or I am I crazy???

Comment

this is a hack method, but if it is not leaking and is sound housing, add a second valve on past it, (as you know on some of that old crap the more you touch the bigger the problem becomes, sounds like there living on borrowed time the way it is),
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've done a couple like that... almost impossible to get the water out where it's level with the floor. putting on a stop that screws onto the 3/8" threads on the old stop that is there works and I'd do it if they wanted it.... but it's not the correct fix so I give them the choice of shutting off the building for a couple hours.. I drain the water out.... blow it out with an air compressor... and if the water still seems to weep into the valve I have an apprentice use a shop vac at a different floor level stop ( it's a bathroom so must have a sink and a stop) I duct tape a smaller hose onto my shop vac... two or three times before I get it down that it will go onto a stop... then the apprentice holds the vac on that stop and I unsweat the old stop in the floor.... it works, it seems to get all the water sucked down enough to solder.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                        Sweat it off and use * compresion stop.... Or rebuild thé valve .... Last option is to get * dahl 3/8 female sop by 3/8 mâle and just thread it on top of existing valve leave Old valve open know they got * Ball valve and you dont even have to turn thé building off..: hope This helps seanny

Seanny, I really like the Dahl fixture shutoff valves since Dahl provides a ten year warranty which is nine years better than the one year warranty Brasscraft provides on their shutoffs.

Since the second valve in series won't fly (I wouldn't like doing that either) I personally would sweat on a male adapter and use an ips shutoff.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

chisel out a 3ft X 3ft hole and use propress.

But seriously, male adapter idea, is the way I would go. You could look inside the adapter, before you screw the new valve on, to make sure your solder joint was good. I would also use my electric solder gun, when being so close to floor.

I would also ask the owner of building, if there are any other valves in need of replacing, so you could do them all at the same time, even if you gotta get more help. Shutting the water down, is a major part of job, so may as well do as many valves as you can, or owner will pay for. I'd be willing to bet, this is not the only questionable valve, in the building.

Never in a million years, would I try a compression ftg, on the supply pipe, coming out of floor, due to it being so short, & probobly week too. JMO.

Comment

I know a lot of Americans have a problem with compression stops, but they are extremely common here...

Shut the water off at 3am, and use a compression stop.

Comment

I personally wouldnt do thé add * valve method. But it was an idea "any ideas" was thé name of thé thread i personally would have rebuilt thé valve Im sûre that most of thé valves would have been installed at thé same time So i would have robbed one From any easy location and replaced it. And used thé one i robbed to rebuild the existing one.. checking to make sûre it works first of course.. Thanks seanny

Comment

Working...
                              X