Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
4 wheel cutter 44S leaves raised ridge around pipe - Can't get the threader onto pipe Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 wheel cutter 44S leaves raised ridge around pipe - Can't get the threader onto pipe

I'm using a Ridgid 44S 4 head cutter to cut a 2" galvanized pipe in a tight location. I've used single head cutters in the past with no problems, but the 4 head cutter seems to leave a raised ridge around the end of the pipe. The threader will not slip onto the pipe over this raised area. I'm assuming the rollers on the single head cutter, which the 4 head cutter does not have, keeps the ridge from forming. Is there any trick to using the 4 head cutter and avoiding the ridge? Or does the ridge need to be ground off, or otherwise fixed, after the pipe is cut. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Re: 4 wheel cutter 44S leaves raised ridge around pipe - Can't get the threader onto

!) Try tightening the cutter in smaller increments so that you are not squeezing the pipe so much.

2) Try the dies on the pipe before cutting (if possible). We once ran into a similar problem in a crawl space, with black pipe. Our conclusion was that the pipe was a little off spec and the die head was right on. We wound up having to file the pipe down enough in order to get the die head on the pipe.
    Stuff like this never happens out in the open where it is easy to work on, it is only allowed to happen in tight places or crawl spaces. That is one of Murphy's strictest laws.

Comment

Re: 4 wheel cutter 44S leaves raised ridge around pipe - Can't get the threader onto

dave, the 4 wheel cutter was designed for demo work. it's not a cutter used with a threader or copper fittings.

the purpose of the wheels are for tracking and to push/ displace the ridge back into the pipe.

i believe it's possible to replace 1 cutter wheel with a roller and that should help with the ridge. i did that with a 2'' pipe cutter and installed 2 cutter wheels and 1 roller. allowed me to cut with a 180 degree swing and still thread pipe with no ridge.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        dave, the 4 wheel cutter was designed for demo work. it's not a cutter used with a threader or copper fittings.

rick.
        It was really designed for close quarters work, like cutting pipe in a corner or up against a wall, not necessarily demo work, might be cutting in a tee on an existing line. Yes they do leave a small ridge, but a rough bastard file will make short work of that.

Might want to check to see if you have the correct cutter wheels, the wheels for cast iron are not as sharp and thin as the wheels for steel.
        Also check to see if they are the correct wheels for the four wheel cutter, other wheels will fit but are not tall enough to make a complete cut.
        Dull or broken wheels will make things harder.
        I like to put a squirt of oil on the wheel pins when cutting, makes things easier for sure (I just use cutting oil since it is handy to get to).
        As said above and as I was told many years ago, "There's wheels on that cutter, no need to pinch the pipe in half", it takes a little time to cut through sch. 40 steel pipe, not like copper tube!!
        Cut the pipe in half, need to support the pipe and not "pinch" the wheels, this will break the edge off of the wheels. If you cut the pipe almost into and want to finish the job by bending or breaking, remove the cutters.
        Check the wheel pins for wear, they take a beating also (that's where the oil comes into play). They can be rotated if worn on one side.

Just a few things I have learned over the years, and the four wheelers are my choice of cutters, 2" - 4" and 4" - 6" are always on the truck.

Mine are Reed brand, sorry Ridgid.

Hey Ridgid guys, I had always heard that Reed was the first to have the four wheelers, is that true?

Comment

Our four wheel cutters were pretty much used exclusively for demo work.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
          X