Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas issue

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Gas issue

    These are the only pvc hangers we use around here. I like them.


    http://www.homebuilderwholesale.com/...0/00706589.jpg
    Last edited by ironranger; 01-12-2012, 02:21 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Gas issue

      Originally posted by Flux View Post
      Unfortunately, the next time I'll be in the house, it will already be drywalled. Because it was so dark down there, I couldn't focus on looking for any valves.

      I have some other head scratching pictures though...but it's Plumbing designed done in my house.
      Why is another plumber doing your house to begin with? New construction is so slow I have to believe you would have had great leverage to negotiate with the building contractor. Then you may also have developed a new relationship.

      Anyway, it's your house, I would modify the csst manifold to conform to the way you want it, or at least the way you're comfortable. If the plumbing contractor doesn't like it, and he won't, that's his problem. It's not like he's ever going to be your pal. Then when they're done sheetrocking you won't need an access panel unless you want one to ease your mind.

      Good luck.
      Time flies like an arrow.

      Fruit flies like a banana.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Gas issue

        For the plumber down the road doing a pressure test ,
        I could see a big advantage having your manifold exposed or knowing were it is

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Gas issue

          I know this may seem a dump question but what is drywalling is a plastering a wall or ceiling or something else ????

          Tony

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Gas issue

            Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            Why is another plumber doing your house to begin with? New construction is so slow I have to believe you would have had great leverage to negotiate with the building contractor. Then you may also have developed a new relationship.

            Anyway, it's your house, I would modify the csst manifold to conform to the way you want it, or at least the way you're comfortable. If the plumbing contractor doesn't like it, and he won't, that's his problem. It's not like he's ever going to be your pal. Then when they're done sheetrocking you won't need an access panel unless you want one to ease your mind.

            Good luck.
            Geno I'm buying this house in a development from a National builder, and I asked if I could do my own Plumbing, and was told emphatically " NO", because of insurance reasons. Trust me I tried..and was stonewalled from the beginning. That stuff might happen elsewhere...but I've never seen it done with any builders in Eastern Pennsylvania. The Plumbing contractor is going to be moving this so called manifold, because it's illegal according to the gas company, because it needs to be accessible. I can ask "politely" if the Plumber or Heating contractor can do something special for me...and I have, and they did it. However, technically they don't have to anything for me as long as it's done by code.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Gas issue

              Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
              For the plumber down the road doing a pressure test ,
              I could see a big advantage having your manifold exposed or knowing were it is
              I called the gas company today to get a clarification, and they said it needs to be accessible, so it's going to get moved. Common sense definitely didn't prevail on this one.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Gas issue

                All CSST systems that I am aware of use special brackets for terminations that keep the fittings outside the finished wall. I do not believe that CSST fittings can be concealed. Not to add fuel to the fire but I wouldn't allow that yellow spaghetti in a dog house let alone my house.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Gas issue

                  Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  All CSST systems that I am aware of use special brackets for terminations that keep the fittings outside the finished wall. I do not believe that CSST fittings can be concealed. Not to add fuel to the fire but I wouldn't allow that yellow spaghetti in a dog house let alone my house.
                  actually it's pretty much the complete opposite.

                  the termination fittings allow the csst to connect behind the wall, floor and allow for an ips stub out.

                  guys, all the installation specs are available through the manufactures website. pretty simple reading. it's been well over 10 years since i took the 3 different brands of csst training class.

                  i suggest you go to the website and do some reading.

                  rick.
                  phoebe it is

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Gas issue

                    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    actually it's pretty much the complete opposite.

                    the termination fittings allow the csst to connect behind the wall, floor and allow for an ips stub out.

                    guys, all the installation specs are available through the manufactures website. pretty simple reading. it's been well over 10 years since i took the 3 different brands of csst training class.

                    i suggest you go to the website and do some reading.

                    rick.
                    Tracpipe states manifolds can't be concealed...my new gas company won't set a meter with the way that "hybrid" setup is in my house...and I'm in total agreement with them. I hear what you're saying though, but I once had a CSST leak that didn't show up for months, and thankfully it was accessible for me to fix it. Termination plates are easy to access even though it's considered concealed...that's not the problem for me...it's when it's behind drywall and I can't get to it. Remember, a faulty O' ring seal blew up the space shuttle...anything can happen.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Gas issue

                      see 4.3.4 page 60 on this pdf for gastite.

                      http://www.gastite.com/include/langu..._D+I_Guide.pdf

                      how could a plumbing company that is doing tract work not know the installation requirements of the product they are working with? i take it this is not the first home they are plumbing and getting inspection on.

                      there are no o-rings with this system.

                      i didn't look up the tractpipe standard, but i don't see 2 different codes for similar products.

                      rick.
                      phoebe it is

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Gas issue

                        I have not run across gas-tite but I have run across trac-pipe and Ward-flex and both of their systems keep the connections outside the wall if the proper termination plates are used. With ward flex there is typically a steel plate that attaches to the stud and the pipe runs through it. Then there is a fitting that the adaptor screws into (outside the wall ) and the fitting attaches to the plate. Trac-pipe uses a similar arrangement. Pages 11 and 12 of the Gas-Tite manual also show these fittings although in page 13 and 14 they show terminations that would put the connection within the wall. We can not install those fittings here by code anymore than we could bury a flare fitting in the wall for gas.
                        Last edited by NHMaster3015; 01-13-2012, 08:38 AM.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Gas issue

                          It may be legal , but is it good practice to hide that many connections
                          Bring them all up in a closet were you can see them

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Gas issue

                            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            see 4.3.4 page 60 on this pdf for gastite.

                            http://www.gastite.com/include/langu..._D+I_Guide.pdf

                            how could a plumbing company that is doing tract work not know the installation requirements of the product they are working with? i take it this is not the first home they are plumbing and getting inspection on.

                            there are no o-rings with this system.

                            i didn't look up the tractpipe standard, but i don't see 2 different codes for similar products.

                            rick.
                            How could a Plumbing company that is doing tract work not know sanitary tee's are illegal to install on it's side and having bellies in a vent pipe are a no-no? 4.34 in that PDF also states ...Exclusion – Manifoldstations for dual pressure sys-
                            temswhich include the multi-port manifold, shut-off valve and pressure regulatorshall not be installed in concealed loca-
                            tions regardless of the qualifications of the tubing.

                            I think mine is omegaflex tracpipe...I think you posted gastite, which has the same rules as far as manifold's go. The manifold for the tracpipe in my condo building is in the ceiling here, but there is an access panel. From what I could see in my new house, there is no tracpipe or gas valve hanging down low for turn off, it comes straight through the side of the house and into the bay from what I could see. Again...it was very dark down there cause there were no lights.

                            An the O ring comment was me just saying something to say something...to use as an example for something so simple that could cause a catastrophe.

                            Here is where I stand on tracpipe...

                            I understand termination plates need to be used going through walls and floors, but you can still access them if need be. I've never had to go through a wall yet for tracpipe cause I always make sure it can go through a floor. I'm in agreement "home runs" are the only way to go from manifold to appliance, and I will never put one of these fittings in the wall regardless of if it's approved or not. It's just the way I like to install this pipe in fear of something happening down the road. My main thing is any type of manifold not being accessible...and that's where the problem arose on my house, and that's why I called the gas company yesterday to get a clarification on what they accept. Now if the gas company would accept that...I was going to move it anyways once I got into the house. I'm just afraid to install tracpipe that way...just a different theory and mindset that we have.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Gas issue

                              Now Rick check this out...here is my lovely back vent with my sanitary tee's installed on the side.

                              There is that "dental floss" holding the pipe as well. ; )
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Flux; 01-13-2012, 08:54 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Gas issue

                                Originally posted by Flux View Post
                                Now Rick check this out...here is my lovely back vent with my sanitary tee's installed on the side.

                                There is that "dental floss" holding the pipe as well. ; )

                                the plastic plumbers tape is the same as we use out here. metal tape is not allowed to contact plastic pipe.

                                since when are san tees not legal on a vent line? even vent 90's are legal out here and those are just as tight as radius as a pvc pressure 90.

                                remember that vent pipe dose not need 1/4'' slope. if there is back fall on your install, they need to re-strap that section.

                                rick.
                                phoebe it is

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X