Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas issue

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    How could a Plumbing company that is doing tract work not know sanitary tee's are illegal to install on it's side and having bellies in a vent pipe are a no-no? 4.34 in that PDF also states ...Exclusion – Manifoldstations for dual pressure sys-
    temswhich include the multi-port manifold, shut-off valve and pressure regulatorshall not be installed in concealed loca-
    tions regardless of the qualifications of the tubing.

I think mine is omegaflex tracpipe...I think you posted gastite, which has the same rules as far as manifold's go. The manifold for the tracpipe in my condo building is in the ceiling here, but there is an access panel. From what I could see in my new house, there is no tracpipe or gas valve hanging down low for turn off, it comes straight through the side of the house and into the bay from what I could see. Again...it was very dark down there cause there were no lights.

An the O ring comment was me just saying something to say something...to use as an example for something so simple that could cause a catastrophe.

Here is where I stand on tracpipe...

I understand termination plates need to be used going through walls and floors, but you can still access them if need be. I've never had to go through a wall yet for tracpipe cause I always make sure it can go through a floor. I'm in agreement "home runs" are the only way to go from manifold to appliance, and I will never put one of these fittings in the wall regardless of if it's approved or not. It's just the way I like to install this pipe in fear of something happening down the road. My main thing is any type of manifold not being accessible...and that's where the problem arose on my house, and that's why I called the gas company yesterday to get a clarification on what they accept. Now if the gas company would accept that...I was going to move it anyways once I got into the house. I'm just afraid to install tracpipe that way...just a different theory and mindset that we have.
    flux, is your system a dual pressure / elevated pressure system with a regulator?

from the photos i see and the info you've provided so far, it's not a dual pressure system.

a regulator would always have to be accessible regardless of what piping system you install.

remember that code is the minimum standard approved.

specs are what the builder required and paid for.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      since when are san tees not legal on a vent line? even vent 90's are legal out here and those are just as tight as radius as a pvc pressure 90. .
      Show me in the I.P.C. where sanitary tee's are allowed to be installed on it's side in a back vent. Table 706.3 is what I'm going off of in the I.P.C.

Because it's not critical, I told the super there is no need to change it, because it is in a back vent. Plus the Plumber did a few special things for me that he didn't have too, so I'm not going to break his balls over that.

But it's still a code violation here.
      Last edited by Flux; 01-13-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        flux, is your system a dual pressure / elevated pressure system with a regulator?
        I'm going to assume it's an elevated system, because we have regulators here. If I'm correct, I think it's 2 lbs coming to the house then regulated to a .5 lb. That's a good question though...and I honestly don't know the correct answer if that's wrong. See in Pennsylvania, we can get 12/2 gas in certain area's if need be. I don't know all the technical terms of what that means except for...it's a higher pressure, and then there is no need to run 1' or 1 1/4" to the heater.

Comment

Rick (and everyone else), here is another picture...what do you think of this?
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow this thread has a lot of guffy in it.

I have used both tract-pipe and gastite, and have never seen the pipe extend outside the wall on a stub out. Do some of you really think that is a good idea? By our code the stub outs have to be a manufacters appoved and the ones they sell at least around here have the fitting in the wall. Tell me what would you do at a log lighter value? Like I said before we don't use a lot of CSST but it does have its uses. With propane you can not have joints under houses.. sense most homes we do have crawl space we use the CSST. When done it looks like copper you put under concrete, manafolds and all.

Flux..You seem like a decent guy, but you need to slow down. You starting to look like a guy that is pissed that they did not let him do the plumbing on the house, and your taking it out on the plumber by nick-picking everything. Most important thing to remmember is there is more then one way to skin a cat.

Tee's on there side in a vent system happens all the time, it is just air that goes there anyway nothing to stop up.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              Rick (and everyone else), here is another picture...what do you think of this?

That's just plain laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                That's just plain laziness.
                If I did that, my dad would of hung on it and ripped it down... when I was coming up in the trade. At least it's 2" and shouldn't have a problem if I have to snake it.

Comment

Here is another picture to ponder...what's everyone think of this one? You can't really see it, but there is another 2" ring around the rosey like the picture above
                  Attached Files

Comment

wow the one picture shows the duct going threw the joist that looks like it is almost cut out the whole way ,thats not good

the next picture the duct is that a supply or a return i would insulate it either way if it was me . and again i thought you could not cut out that much of the joist and also right at the bottom like that . i may be wrong
                    at least they did seal the joints with the gray stuff that a good thing
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      wow the one picture shows the duct going threw the joist that looks like it is almost cut out the whole way ,thats not good

the next picture the duct is that a supply or a return i would insulate it either way if it was me . and again i thought you could not cut out that much of the joist and also right at the bottom like that . i may be wrong
                      at least they did seal the joints with the gray stuff that a good thing
                      The guys who did the heating actually did a pretty nice job. I don't run much duct work, but I like the fact they used that grey sealant around the joints. The Plumber actually did a pretty decent job, just a few "head scratching" things they did I didn't agree with at all. The Plumber actually did a beautiful job with my Pex Manifold in the basement, but I forgot to take a picture of that.

As far as the I-joists go, isn't the rule you have to be 30" from the ends, and I thought anything in the middle was fine, and I know you can't touch the rails? Guess what furnace they put they put in? Goodman 95% . I know we have some guys who just LOVE Goodman here...lol. I'm extremely happy with that.

Comment

i forgot who makes goodman they are good units
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                        X