Bag Traps "Do you like em or Hate em"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bag Traps "Do you like em or Hate em"

I also asked this question in another forum. I posted it bay accident. I meant to ask you guys the profressionals. Hey guys I had just finished a job for a first time contractor. It was a 4 bathroom rough-in and fixture set included. This was just a small low budget job with all builders grade fixtures. The job went well, all things tested and secured. After the Contractors inspection, he texted me that he didn't like the traps on the sink. "I couldn't believe it, your actually complaining about the traps" I told myself. He doesn't like bag traps ( the traps with the thinner schedule pvc, and has twist lock joints). I use them for smaller jobs and there quick to install and they are just as durable. I want to know does anyone else have a problem with these types of traps for bath sinks or kitchen sinks?
    Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
    crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Re: Bag Traps "Do you like em or Hate em"

Are you talking about tubular vs. Sch. 40?

Comment

if so they are fine in my experience. What I really hate are the glued in sch40 traps.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I may use a pvc trap on a laundry sink but 99% of my traps are tubular and always plastic.

Comment

Thank you ! got me to thinking ..

Most customers do not want the added expense But I will ask from now on ...

Comment

It is a rare installation where chromed brass make sense. PVC and ABS are better more durable more servicable choices always. But when it just has to be displayed and fancy-bright is better on display, just be up-front; I can give you **** for $x which will look good for a while and then collapse, or I can give you **** which might actually last long enough that you will be working elsewhere when it fails for $ (x+y), or, if you are daring, I can give you arguably ugly **** that will last essentially forever for less $.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Unless Its * pedestal or exposed trap i always use abs shedule 40 traps with union and cleanout ... Always " glued in sealed locations of course." Wé only use pvc From 2' outside of building to sewer or septic,1otherwise abs or cast iron. System 15 pvc in commercial jobs condos éct. . Thanks seanny

Comment

I do mostly service work and I go through many "bags" of tubular traps, tail pieces, extensions, dishwasher y's, and end outlets, bags and bags of them.
                Anyone see the newer end outlets with the dishwasher Y already installed as part of the end outlet? I never saw them before until recently but I do carry them now. Cheaper than buying both the end outlet and the dishwasher Y.
                I've never had anyone say they want a better trap than what I'm installing.

Comment

Lav's get em, kitchen sinks get sch. 40 with da union so's they can be dismantled without a sawzall. Don't like tubulars under kitchen sinks. Think they are too small in diameter and tend to get wacked around under there by careless folks that throw crap under the sink cabinet. Then they leak. Also pouring that boiling pasta water past the slip joints don't do em any good neither. And along Rick's line of thought a 5/8 cable and even a 3/8 cable will destroy the darn thing so it's gotta go before a cable can head down. Not really a fan of plastic tubular continuous waste's either but the choices are pretty limited there
                  Last edited by NHMaster3015; 01-16-2012, 10:53 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

All tubular for me, as we have no room for sch. 40 traps under kitchen sinks with unions. I could fit a sch.40 trap alone with out the union though, but I don't like using them because you can't take them apart.

Never have any problems with tubular at all.

Comment

Where did the name "BAG TRAP " come from? Doesn't seem a proper name. I've always put in 17 Ga. chrome.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Its a trap in a bag.....as far as I know....and I am not trying to be a smart ***....I really thought that was just a loose term used....
                        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          Where did the name "BAG TRAP " come from? Doesn't seem a proper name. I've always put in 17 Ga. chrome.

Most p-traps came in a box, so I guess those would be called "Box Traps"? Well, that would be really confusing for us trappers wouldn't it? So they didn't call them box traps. But then to save money they started coming out in clear plastic, we would say "give me a dozen bag traps". But so do end outlets, extensions, and tail pieces. Yet we don't say give me a dozen bag extensions or a dozen bag tails etc., so I really don't know why the term bag traps stuck but it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
                            I also asked this question in another forum. I posted it bay accident. I meant to ask you guys the profressionals. Hey guys I had just finished a job for a first time contractor. It was a 4 bathroom rough-in and fixture set included. This was just a small low budget job with all builders grade fixtures. The job went well, all things tested and secured. After the Contractors inspection, he texted me that he didn't like the traps on the sink. "I couldn't believe it, your actually complaining about the traps" I told myself. He doesn't like bag traps ( the traps with the thinner schedule pvc, and has twist lock joints). I use them for smaller jobs and there quick to install and they are just as durable. I want to know does anyone else have a problem with these types of traps for bath sinks or kitchen sinks?
                            I would text the inspector back and ask what the problem is? I dont get it . Arent you using aprooved material?

Comment

Never used anything but for under sinks...
                              Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                              Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X