X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pipe sizing

I am building a house in a area that has rural water. but my issue is i am going to be 2500 feet from my meter to my house. i was needing some help deciding on a proper pipe size so i dont lose much pressure or have any volume problems any help would be appreciated

Re: water pipe sizing

What size is meter and what pressure do You Have there and Whats thé difference in elevation From curb to house? Seanny

Comment

chances are you will need a line big enough to support a fire hydrant too.

i would think the city would advise you to the minimum requirement. out here most likely a 4'' sch 80 line.

of course a 2500' ditch doesn't come cheap so make sure to bury all your utilities in that ditch too.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Your going to need a lot of information to calculate an 840 yard run or close to a 1/2 mile.

1. What is the size of the main the city is going to let you tap into?
        2. What is the pressure on that main?
        3. Elevation from the main connection to the point of distribution?
        4. Fixture count on the house and landscaping.
        5. Will you be installing fire sprinkles in the house?
        6. Are you going to be required to install a fire hydrant on the property, (considering the distance to the street)

Those are the starter questions:

Comment

okay so i don't know what size the main is. i am going to be building this house next door to my fathers house. he installed a gauge on one of his faucets and it show to have 90 psi pressure. the elevation of the land is a gradual downhill slop with maybe a 100 foot or so of it being uphill but generally downhill there will be two outside faucets 5 sinks 2 showers and one tub there will not be any kind of sprinkler systems or any kind of requirement for any fire hydrants either it is not within city limits by no means i didnt know what my best option would be thanks

Comment

so i dont know what size what main the city has there the pressure on the line at my father house next door is around 90 psi the elevation is on a general down slop pretty much the whole way maybe a 100 feet of it or so is uphill the fixture count is two outside faucets 5 sinks 2 toilets 2 showers one bath it is a 1800 square foot house there will not be any kind of sprinkler system nor will there be any kind of requirement for a fire hydrant. i was just wondering what would be the best way to get water the ditching isnt any problem because of the fact i work for a electrical contractor and we have a ditcher that i will be using for free

Comment

Might consider a holding tank and pump inside of your house, that way you could stay with a smaller line to the house (and at 2,500' run it want be a 1/2" line).

Elevation difference might be a big thing if your house is located on a very high hill, is there enough pressure at the street to push it to the house and still have any pressure left.

Need a little more info.

water at the street.....ask the water dept. for a hydrant flow in the area, they should give you static psi, residual psi and flow gpm.
              need elevation difference from street to highest point in the house you would have a spigot (don't laugh people this could be a 4 story house)
              what type of piping are you considering running
              what ending pressure and flow are you wanting in the house

Comment

so i dont know what size the water main line is the pressure on the line at the closest neighbor which is my fathers house is about 90 psi the lay of the land is a gradual downhill slope except for about 100 feet is up hill there will be no sprinkler systems and there are no requirements for fire hydrants either there will be 2 outside hydrants 5 sinks two showers two toilets and one tub it will be right around a single story 1800 square foot house

Comment

We ran a 2" line just over a 1/2 mi back to are farm cabin
                  Only about a 4ft elevation change 55psi .
                  it moves a lot of water when needed

Comment

Volume is more important in your situation than pressure, as you need the volume for the psi of each fixture.

Sink - 8 psi

tub -8 psi

shower - 8 psi

toilet - 15psi

hydrants - 8psi

If I'm correct that's 102 psi you need to supply all together.

A few years ago I ran 2" poly up a mountain for a distance of 750ft to supply a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      Volume is more important in your situation than pressure, as you need the volume for the psi of each fixture.

Sink - 8 psi

tub -8 psi

shower - 8 psi

toilet - 15psi

hydrants - 8psi

If I'm correct that's 102 psi you need to supply all together.

A few years ago I ran 2" poly up a mountain for a distance of 750ft to supply a house.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Im confused flux psi is pressure ? Here you calculate water pipe sizing based on fixture units longest measured length, change in elevation so on and so on? Pressure remains constant its based on pressure per square inch gallons per minute or gpm is a measurement of volume so if you have 70psi and it takes thirty seconds to fll a five gallon bucket your flow rate ten gallons a minune. Diameter squared .7854 times length of pipe all in inchs will give You Ã* volume calculation. Anyways good luck marino You should get exact calculations like number of fixtures take an altimiter and find out thé elevation difference Thanks seanny

Comment

Are you sure you do not need fire sprinklers installed in your home? I am surprised your building dept/fire dept have not dictated what you are required to have.
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                            Im confused flux psi is pressure ? Here you calculate water pipe sizing based on fixture units longest measured length, change in elevation so on and so on? Pressure remains constant its based on pressure per square inch gallons per minute or gpm is a measurement of volume so if you have 70psi and it takes thirty seconds to fll a five gallon bucket your flow rate ten gallons a minune. Diameter squared .7854 times length of pipe all in inchs will give You Ã* volume calculation. Anyways good luck marino You should get exact calculations like number of fixtures take an altimiter and find out thé elevation difference Thanks seanny
                            Those psi numbers I gave are based off of table 604.3 in the I.P.C which means they are "required" capacities at each fixture supply outlet.If you want the g.p.m. from that same table, it would equal 30 gpm total.
                            Last edited by Flux; 01-24-2012, 02:33 PM.

Comment

so i highly appreciate all of the help but it is going over my head i guess im not really understanding. I am out of town right now when i get home this weekend i will be able to get an elevation difference and the fixture count. Is that all i should need? i am assuming this isnt a general problem that you run into very often?

Comment

Working...
                              X