X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater Automatic Blowdown Valve

I have a customer that has a background as a Chemical Engineer (Plumbing his house has been a fun experience).

The Customer would like an automatic blow down valve installed on his water heater, I was thinking of installing an air compressor Auto blow down unless I can find something water heater specific.

Your thoughts?

Re: Water Heater Automatic Blowdown Valve

T+P Valve is mandatory and is packaged with new heaters.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      I have a customer that has a background as a Chemical Engineer (Plumbing his house has been a fun experience).

The Customer would like an automatic blow down valve installed on his water heater, I was thinking of installing an air compressor Auto blow down unless I can find something water heater specific.

Your thoughts?
      Blow down valve, for what? To winterize? Flush out? Need more detail. Is the heater gas or electric?

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        T+P Valve is mandatory and is packaged with new heaters.

Tool, Do a little Google Kung Fu if you don't know what I'm talking about
        Last edited by OkieBill; 01-25-2012, 10:38 PM. Reason: Kung foo or FU does it really matter...lol

Comment

Don,
          To flush, LP gas Water Heater... Customer would like to extend the life of his water heater utilizing frequent blowdowns, I'm also providing the customer 2 extra sacrificial Anodes

A special customer with very specific needs:-)
          Last edited by OkieBill; 01-25-2012, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Isn't a relief valve considered a blowdown valve as well? Does he want to blow down his water heater like a steam boiler is done?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              Isn't a relief valve considered a blowdown valve as well? Does he want to blow down his water heater like a steam boiler is done?
              Flux, I don't think so. I think a T&P Relief valve wold be categorized as a "blow-off" valve. Yes, the customer would like to blow down his domestic water heater like a Boiler or Air Compressor

Comment

Flux, I don't think so. I think a T&P Relief valve wold be categorized as a "blow-off" valve. Yes, the customer would like to blow down his domestic water heater like a Boiler or Air Compressor
                True, but a blowdown valve is a quick acting valve as well like a relief valve is when we manually open it.

Leave it to an engineer to think of something like this for a water heater. lol

Comment

Easy to accomplish. Install a radiant floor heating system valve on the drain outlet of the water heater. (these valves are designed to handle hot water) Pipe the water to a discharge area install a programmable sprinkler timer and connect to the valve. Your done.

Examples of valves you can use:

Taco-Hvac: 550 Series Heat Motor Valves

Comment

Flux I know you are a big gun here. You know the T& P being opened may not seat right after some time. My advice is to just give him what he wants, the customer is always right.

Comment

Originally posted by Reardon View Post
                      Flux I know you are a big gun here. You know the T& P being opened may not seat right after some time. My advice is to just give him what he wants, the customer is always right.
                      I'm a very small fish in a very big pond here.

I just have a habit of being a loud mouth sometimes, but that's because I have passion for our trade, and I like to talk about it with my peers.

But you're right the T&P valve won't seat right, and if this customer is going to blow down a water heater frequently, like a steam boiler during heating season..a T & P valve wouldn't work.

Comment

Sorry, I'd have a hard time trying to figure this problem out with a cusomer like this as well. The "men" at the "Big Box" stores may be able to help them better.$$

Comment

Originally posted by Reardon View Post
                          Sorry, I'd have a hard time trying to figure this problem out with a cusomer like this as well. The "men" at the "Big Box" stores may be able to help them better.$$
                          I think we all have stories from customers about the big box store experts.

However I like sharing this one..

My father in-law lives in New Jersey, and he wanted me to install power flush toilets a few years ago. Well at the time he was getting his roof done, he told the roofers about me going to install those toilets. The roofer said to my father in-law " Holy christ, you can't have those toilets installed in a residential house, they will BLOW your pipes apart!!!"

Comment

Tool, Do a little Google Kung Fu if you don't know what I'm talking about
                            You're the one looking for help!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i have some 3/4'' motorized ball valves that work with a built in water sensor and control panel. they also have the ability to turn off and on with the remote touch pad. pretty sure a longer length of thermostat wire can be added to make it a semi automatic blow/ drain valve.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X