flushing out a tankless heater and the advise noritz has suggested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flushing out a tankless heater and the advise noritz has suggested

normally i wouldn't get too excited about a tankless preventative flush out. but this time after speaking to noritz about a different issue, the customer service girl asked what product i use to flush out the heater.

i said vinegar containing 5% acidity. she recommended clr or lime away

my ears lit up and so did my blood pressure. since when did the manufacturer of a heater start recommending chemicals be introduced into the potable water system

i had her email the sheet so i can see it for myself.

hopefully no one gets poisoned by unqualified people using dangerous chemicals with no idea about flushing heaters. and noritz stops publishing dangerous and probably illegal instruction and advise.

i'll copy and paste their pdf for you to see.

rick.
    Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: flushing out a tankless heater and the advise noritz has suggested

I read that sheet Rick. I don't see anything to get upset about.

They say to use vinegar, or Lime Away or CLR. If you use the chemical, then they say mix it 3 parts water to 1 part chemical, and then run 20 gallons of water after to flush it all out.

If someone followed the instructions on that sheet exactly there would be no problems.

Now if someone does not follow those instructions exactly, then I don't see that as the manufacturers fault. I see it as someone doing something they were not qualified to do.

Just my opinion.

Comment

mark, the problem is the fact they are telling people both qualified and unqualified to literally fill and flush poison into the potable water supply.

how many tankless water heaters have we seen installed incorrectly. do you really think it's a wise idea for anyone to inject poison into the potable water system.

heck it's illegal to put anything but air into a gas system. and that won't potentially kill anyone.

i rather doubt the water company would approve of noritz instructions.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

When I sat through the Noritz class a few years ago, they said vinegar is fine. I specifically asked in front of the class if "acid" was a choice, and he said "absolutely".

If acid is fine for domestic coils in boilers...it's fine for these coils. However, there is a LOT of flushing you have to do for acid. You can also only acid a coil so many times before it has to be changed anyway.

My Ferguson has this "stuff" sitting out specifically for tankless water heaters to flush it, and I'm not sure what it's called. I saw the demonstration on it, and it seemed like a good product.
        Last edited by Flux; 01-27-2012, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Re: flushing out a tankless heater and the advise Noritz has suggested

Long before tankless water heaters came about I delimed tank heaters and boilers, using a product by A.O Smith called UnLime. Its a food grade acid (phosphoric acid) it is recommended for glass lined tank heaters and their coil type boilers. I have yet to use this product on a tankless unit. I have been using the product that Flux mentioned that Ferguson sells.

I included a PDF from A.O. Smith about deliming tankless water heaters. It mentions food grade acid as well.
          Attached Files
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by sewerratz View Post
            long before tankless water heaters came about i delimed tank heaters and boilers, using a product by a.o smith called unlime. Its a food grade acid (phosphoric acid) it is recommended for glass lined tank heaters and their coil type boilers. I have yet to use this product on a tankless unit. I have been using the product that flux mentioned that ferguson sells.

I included a pdf from a.o. Smith about deliming tankless water heaters. It mentions food grade acid as well.
            Yes I used A.O. Smiths unlime in both A.O. SMITH coils and also a lot of tankless wtr/htrs

I FORGOT TO SAY WE ALWAYS FLUSHED WITH PLENTY OF WATER AFTER
            Last edited by JERRYMAC; 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM.
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

We use Hercules Cloroben DE hydrochloric acid for coils.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yea, we have been flushing tankless boiler coils with hydrochloric acid for many years now. Have to use a special ceramic pump because a standard pump disintegrates in short order. 5% vinegar won't touch the lime scale we get around here. You could leave a 5% solution in there for a couple of years and not make a bit of difference. For that matter, CLR won't touch it either.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Yea, we have been flushing tankless boiler coils with hydrochloric acid for many years now. Have to use a special ceramic pump because a standard pump disintegrates in short order. 5% vinegar won't touch the lime scale we get around here. You could leave a 5% solution in there for a couple of years and not make a bit of difference. For that matter, CLR won't touch it either.
                  You took the thoughts right out of my head! Vinegar, CLR and other similar products wouldn't put a dent into the scale I've seen in our coils around here either. We use Nu-Calgon pumps for our acid treatments.

Products: Acid Descaling
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Folks, I'm new here... My understanding is that CLR is mostly lactic acid.. Not exactly toxic in small quantities.. The "burn" you feel when you work out and exercise is the lactic acid building up in your muscles. There are a lot of chemicals out there that are called poisons in their concentrated states but they are part of the human body and our food consumption in our daily lives as diluted substances. Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH), Potassium Hydroxide (KOH or Caustic Potash), Lactic Acid, Acetic Acid, Hydrochloric Acid (also known as muriatic acid and as pool cleaner or concrete etch)... etc etc.. Substances that are poisons and substances that are toxic are two different subjects.. Ethanol (Beer, wine, liqueur, etc) is a toxic poison if enough is ingested. For that matter, even water has been known to be toxic if consumed in large enough quantities. Its all about context. A system that has been cleaned with CLR or Limeaway and not rinsed properly is probably not going to cause any serious issues so long as there was some level of rinsing. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                    X