Stainless Steel pipe theading dies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel pipe theading dies?

I own a Toledo 999 machine and I cut about 20 to 30 threads a week. Lately, I've been having a lot of difficulty getting good threads on both my 3/4 and 1 inch pipes. I've read on the net that the problem has a lot to do with the junk steel the pipe is made from but I find it interesting that my pipe supplier can cut threads without problems. When I called them about this they said to switch my dies out and use the ones that are made for stainless steel. Has anyone else heard that you have to use stainless dies on regular black pipe? Curtis-Toledo doesn't sell any dies for the 999 machine anymore so I'm looking for a way to adapt a standard Ridgid 535 adjustable die head to my 999 machine. Any suggestions?? Thanks,

Re: Stainless Steel pipe theading dies?

Plumber Rick will have an answer. He'll be by.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

what kind of cutting oil are you using and is it worn out?

might want to try some fresh oil, me personally I like the dark oils with a higher sulfur content.

Comment

Not sure what kind or brand of oil it is. I bought it from my pipe supplier.. its the same oil they use in their $8K Ridgid machine so I think its probably fine. The oil in the machine is still clear.. still looks like the day I put it in. I probably threaded 50 to 100 pipes with it.

Comment

Working...
        X