Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips

I did a job in town today for a new customer. They were trying to remodel their bathroom and had no idea what they were doing. I got there and walked into a bathroom with water running out of the wall and an empty spot where a bathtub used to sit.
    Anyhow, I got them all fixed up and as they were a new customer, gave them their bill to receive payment as per company policy.
    They commented that it cost much less than they were expecting and promptly and happily paid cash. Then he pulled out another $50 and told me it was my tip. I kindly tried to refuse it but he insisted.
    My question is, this, is it professional to accept a tip if the customer is pretty insistant on giving it? I know an old lady offering lunch or cookies is fairly common for us here in the midwest but the cash tip was a new thing for me...
    What do you all think?

Re: Tips

If there offering extra take it with both hands and remember to say thank you never look a gift horse in the mouth

Tony

Comment

When I was younger and coming up in the trade, I use to accept tips now and then. Now I politely decline no matter how forceful the customer is.

However, accepting cookies and other types of food, is a whole different story! Being Italian and having lots of customers who are of Italian decent...I get fed a lot.

But I just normally tell customers, I would rather them call me back in the future, instead of accepting "extra" money.

Comment

It's rude to decline the tip. Take the tip, it makes the customer feel important and in control. Then take the wife out to dinner, it will make her feel good and in turn later you will feel good. Everyone is happy. Do the happy dance, take the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
          It's rude to decline the tip. Take the tip, it makes the customer feel important and in control. Then take the wife out to dinner, it will make her feel good and in turn later you will feel good. Everyone is happy. Do the happy dance, take the tip.
          Politely refuse once, if they insist I then then say: 'this isn't necessary but thank you' (as I stuff the wad in my pocket )

Comment

If you are an employee then take the tip for a job well done. If you are the business owner then decline and make mental note to charge them more the next time.
            Last edited by SlimTim; 02-29-2012, 11:28 PM.
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

It depends on the customer. If I get the elderly customer on a fixed income, I'll turn down the tip but hand them extra business cards and ask them to pass them out to family or friends instead. If they're pretty well off, I'll probably take the tip.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
              X