Ghostly soap suds for toilet!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghostly soap suds for toilet!

Hi fellow plumbers. I was told by a client that soap suds come out of a toilet and covers the washroom floor but i was not able to witness this myself. The client also said that the water in the bowl would gurgle at times. He is on the first floor of a 12 story building but no other suites around him is having this problem. Without thinking i took my K7500 and cleaned the sanitary from the basement below out to the street and decided to do 2 other building cleanouts in that room. A month went by and there was no more gurgling except the soap suds flooded his floor again a few days ago.
    The client recalls that water in bowl had disappeared. I thought the suds in the toilet trap arm siphoned the trap water away or got pushed out with the suds. This i dont know. This time i took the k7500 and went through the toilet flange on the second floor which shares the same stack and the only turns to make are 2 45s before the building co that i originally did work from. I also had augered the problem toilet and ran the k7500 into that trap arm until hitting the stack already done from the second floor. I am hesitating to do the wet vent and continuous vent cleaning for the toilet in question as i would have to cut the wall and pull out the sanitary tee as there is no c.o. I am now to wait 1 month and check in to see the results again.
    All this time i don't feel confident that cleaning the pipes will make any difference. Would you be able to tell me that I am going about this all wrong and educate me what i should have done in the first place.
    Many thanks to all my friends here!
    roberto

Re: Ghostly soap suds for toilet!

Sounds like a plugged vent stack to me.

Comment

It's not a stoppage or a vent issue.

The wye for his toilet is too close to the base of the laundry stack. Someone upstairs, likely many floors up, is using too much or the wrong kind of soap in their washing machine. It agitates as it falls down the stack and foams up at the base near his toilet connection. As the water goes down, the suds push back up his toilet.

Comment

I have yet to see a vent cause any problem other than smell.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

what crack said, the tie in where the upstairs meets the first floor should be at Least 10 pipe diameters downstream of the Vent for the fixtures.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by robertochekwong View Post
            Hi fellow plumbers. I was told by a client that soap suds come out of a toilet and covers the washroom floor but i was not able to witness this myself. The client also said that the water in the bowl would gurgle at times. He is on the first floor of a 12 story building but no other suites around him is having this problem. Without thinking i took my K7500 and cleaned the sanitary from the basement below out to the street and decided to do 2 other building cleanouts in that room. A month went by and there was no more gurgling except the soap suds flooded his floor again a few days ago.
            The client recalls that water in bowl had disappeared. I thought the suds in the toilet trap arm siphoned the trap water away or got pushed out with the suds. This i dont know. This time i took the k7500 and went through the toilet flange on the second floor which shares the same stack and the only turns to make are 2 45s before the building co that i originally did work from. I also had augered the problem toilet and ran the k7500 into that trap arm until hitting the stack already done from the second floor. I am hesitating to do the wet vent and continuous vent cleaning for the toilet in question as i would have to cut the wall and pull out the sanitary tee as there is no c.o. I am now to wait 1 month and check in to see the results again.
            All this time i don't feel confident that cleaning the pipes will make any difference. Would you be able to tell me that I am going about this all wrong and educate me what i should have done in the first place.
            Many thanks to all my friends here!
            roberto

In Minnesota if you're at the base of a 12 story building the bottom floor has to tie in at least 8 feet back from the base of the stack. This prevents the kind of backpressure you're experiencing. However, someone may be using excessive laundry detergent. Also, it's possible if the building is older the effective stack diameter could be diminished by buildup on the stack walls. (It happens). Jetting the stacks could help alleviate that particular problem.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Your by-laws are similar where no ground floor connection is permitted within 1 mt of a stack entering a sewer pipe in the ground of a building of three or more floors and within 2.5 mters vertically and is called the foaming zone

Tony

Comment

someone hired a new housekeeper that lives somewhere above this unit.

see it quite often and not much you can do except to complain to the hoa board.

i was just speaking to mark about this today. had 1 many years ago in a 27 story building i ended up putting in a backwater valve in as there was no practical way to solve this in the 16' tall lobby ceiling with another 6' of dead space above the ceiling. the mechanical engineer gave me the a ok and that was a good 20 years ago.

then there was the time i had the same issue with " greg brady" he blew me off and i ended up speaking to his house keeper "alice" true story and you had to see his expression when i told him i was going to talk to alice. problem solved

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I just want to start off by saying the people on this site are fantastic. I been feeling that i have these gaps of knowledge in this trade due to that plumbing, heating, gas is a field I can't learn it all in my lifetime. I always think of this forum when I am in deep trouble at work.
                  I been absorbing all the information I ve read on my problem. After reading, at first i thought cutting into the trap arm of his toilet and bring it down lower and wye into the stack. In the boiler room i look up about 15feet and the suite with the problem wyes into the 4 in c.i. pipe. (His trap arm is about 4 feet which barely makes the cut of 10 pipe diameters) 6 feet below that wye the 4 inch goes into 2 45's with an offset length about 6 feet and back into the vertical run until the base c.o. where it turns towards the municipal system. Their laundry room is downstream of all this piping. The laundry drains into another 4 stack about 20 feet downstream. The blding manager believes that the suds could blow back 20 feet of horizontal and turn up 15 feet of vertical to hit the toilet in suite 101. I couldnt accurately answer that because I don't know how laundry suds behave in all situations. Rick, I read that you used a backwater valve and it solved your problem. I am thinking about that now and when I get called again (3rd service call) maybe snapping a section of the trap arm and clamp a 4 inch ABS backwater valve is the way to go. Man, this wouldn't not have occurred to me until going to school here. Do you folks think I am on track here?Many thanks again.

Comment

You can fix this without lifting a tool! Bring a six pack up Mrs Murray's Husband on 8. Have a little chat.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                    X