X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro 45 B Fix

After installing my third Fluidmaster Pro45B that would not shut off completely, (it continues to dribble into the tank), I finally called Fluidmaster (I told 'em Rick sent me and got right through)
    I have been using these exclusively along with the Wolverine Brass braided Closet Supply with metal nut. The rep tells me they are aware of the problem (it's with the seal) and they have retooled and redied and problem solved. He sent me a bag of 20 new seals which should fix any old ones I still have or any in the field I have installed.
    Thanks Fluidmaster.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Pro 45 B Fix

must have been a production run. as i've installed dozens of the 45b with no issues.

try the 45 hr for the toto and kohler high refill models.

interesting thing about the pro 45b is i was involved in a panel marketing research with that model several years back. pretty much was made to satisfy the plumbers who think brass is better and to offer a product the retailer can't purchase.

i still install more of the plastic pro 45 than the 45b. but lately i've had a run on the 45 hr as the factory toto/ hunter ballcock is junk.

did they send you any blue pills

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I remember you mentioning the panel you were on so that's why I threw your name around. The rep wasn't impressed.
      I keep an HR on the truck but haven't had occasion to use it yet.
      They did not send me any of the blue pills but I have plenty of the blue strips from Wolverine (not too impressed with those either).
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I have had the same problem with pro 45. dribbles out of top after it shuts off. Had about 6 so far, in the last case I bought.

Comment

Call FM and tell them they sent slimtim 20 seals and you will expect no less.

Comment

This issue has been going on for awhile now, when I first moved here no one carried my Brasscraft fill valves, so I bought a hand full of the pro45 and installed 4 in one house, 2 of them leaked from the top cap when the water was off.

My supply house now stocks my Brasscraft fill valves, in all 12-13 years of using them, I have only had one new defective from the box. I once again have been reminded why I stopped using fluidmasters. Just my opinion.
            Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

I have also had the problem with the pro45 valve leaking from the top cap after it is off. But, I go through about 20 a month and have only had around 15 defective in the last several years, so I think that is still a pretty good track record.

Comment

Originally posted by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc. View Post
                This issue has been going on for awhile now, when I first moved here no one carried my Brasscraft fill valves, so I bought a hand full of the pro45 and installed 4 in one house, 2 of them leaked from the top cap when the water was off.

My supply house now stocks my Brasscraft fill valves, in all 12-13 years of using them, I have only had one new defective from the box. I once again have been reminded why I stopped using fluidmasters. Just my opinion.
                Are these the ones you use? I may try these. Nice to have something different than FM, that anyone can buy at box stores. And I am pissed to that FM don't automatically tell everone about the defect.

http://www.brasscraft.com/PDF/0562%2...20brochure.pdf

Comment

You can buy the ones you linked at wal-mart

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                  Are these the ones you use? I may try these. Nice to have something different than FM, that anyone can buy at box stores. And I am pissed to that FM don't automatically tell everone about the defect.

http://www.brasscraft.com/PDF/0562%2...20brochure.pdf
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

i still have what's left of a case of the brasscraft i bought several years ago.

there's a reason why fluidmaster is the #1 ballcock in the country.

there's a reason why kohler and american standard don't build their own ballcock anymore and buy from fluidmaster.

there's a reason why i stock over 100 fluidmasters as they are pretty much foolproof.

yes a production run screwup can upset you, but at least you know about it the second you turn it on and not months later like other ballcock makers.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      i still have what's left of a case of the brasscraft i bought several years ago.

there's a reason why fluidmaster is the #1 ballcock in the country.

there's a reason why kohler and american standard don't build their own ballcock anymore and buy from fluidmaster.

there's a reason why i stock over 100 fluidmasters as they are pretty much foolproof.

yes a production run screwup can upset you, but at least you know about it the second you turn it on and not months later like other ballcock makers.

rick.
                      Time heals all wounds. I have tried so many different types of fill valves over the years, & always go back to FM, & then tell myself, I will never change again. Then After a bit of time, look, I'm doing it again. Then kick myself after.

But if I was big almighty Fluidmaster co.,& I found out there was a defect, especially with the "so called" pro series, why not just switch out all the stock ones now, to prevent all those from being installed. Thus preventing future lawsuits, or headaches, or risking a good reputation. It can't cost them that much. And a small peon guy, like myself, I would say, "ok I got a case of fill valves, that already had about 6 leakers, & your gonna exchange them all for me? Great, give me another case on top of that, & I will purchase".

But no, they aint gonna do crap, unless they get a call, & we *****. And even then they just want to give us new rubber disc, that they screwed up in the 1st place? And now I'm suppose to install all these fill valves, & sit there, on each job to see if it leaks out of top, & then if it does, then I gotta turn water back off, & change the top, & then go through the test cycle all over again, all on my time, & my dime? Cuz big FM co., is afraid it will be too costly? That is total BS in my book.

Ok, now Slim Tim said he called & complained, & they sent him 20 seals. I have 80 pro 45, & 40 pro45 HR sitting on my shelf right now. They gonna sent me 120 seals? And then, am I suppose to take my time to change all those?

I installed an American Standard Cadet 3 toilet last week, that came with a defective Fluidmaster fillvalve, that I had to change out. And not knowing at the time, that an actual defect exists, I must have taken that thing apart 10 times, trying to find the problem, or see what the issue was, or if there was debris in there, ect.. Cuz I'm that type of guy. If I got a problem or leak with something, i want to know why, not just change it out & move on.

And how many of these fill valves aren't going to leak, until you leave the job? How many are leaking now, & customer don't know it? Cuz you can't hear it, you can only see it, if you take the lid off & look in. Water runs right out of top, smooth steady flow, & makes no noise.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        You can buy the ones you linked at wal-mart

If my customers are going to wall mart to buy a plumbing product, chances are they are not going to call me to install it. i have heard this wal-mart comment before but have never been able to see one in wall-mart.

To each their own, I install products that I myself and select others have not had issues with. Plus something in Home Depot and Lowes is way more accessible to the home owner.

Not going to get in the fill valve argument here, AGAIN. I see what I see and I replace what I replace and fluidmaster always ends up in the trash, even new ones that were in the tank for a few minutes.
                        Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Originally posted by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc. View Post
                          If my customers are going to wall mart to buy a plumbing product, chances are they are not going to call me to install it. i have heard this wal-mart comment before but have never been able to see one in wall-mart.

To each their own, I install products that I myself and select others have not had issues with. Plus something in Home Depot and Lowes is way more accessible to the home owner.

Not going to get in the fill valve argument here, AGAIN. I see what I see and I replace what I replace and fluidmaster always ends up in the trash, even new ones that were in the tank for a few minutes.

I Googled several Walmart web sites, to see if they actually had them, cuz I didn't know if MO was joking or serious. I couldn't find any. Personally, I would love to find an alternative fill valve, but never had luck. Now I'm just afraid to try anything different, cuz I am so limited for time always, & one call back, especially on something so un-necessary, like a POS fill valve, screws up my schedule, & ticks me off for 3 days.

Comment

Wait!.. what?... Fluidmasters arn't SUPPOSED to leak out of the top? Every one I've put in lately has. I thought it was a design change to flush debris from around the seal I noticed they stop gushing after about a week.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Wait!.. what?... Fluidmasters arn't SUPPOSED to leak out of the top? Every one I've put in lately has. I thought it was a design change to flush debris from around the seal I noticed they stop gushing after about a week.
                              Yea, it's a new Government water saving device.

Comment

Working...
                              X