X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbelievable

I was out of town this weekend and got a call from a regular customer on my cell phone and she had an emergency so she ended up calling someone else in the phone book. She called me back today to tell me about her experience. She was not happy.

She called one of those "red carpet" companies. White shirts, red carpet and a big fat pricing book in hand! LOL Funny part is they aren't even a big company. One owner operator and ONE other wanna be plumber.

The wanna be plumber fixed the frozen split pipe she called him out for and was rather fairly priced except for the extra 50 dollar service fee to top off the bill just for the fun of it. $150.00 plus 50 more, $200.00. Then the trouble started. He wanted to inspect everything in the house.

First thing he looked at was a brand new Bradford White water heater I had just installed three months ago. The B/W water heaters come installed with dielectric nipples. I then use two 3/4" propress female brass adapters on top of the nipples to connect to copper along with a new propress ball valve. He told her it was wrong and that it needed dielectric unions instead, he said it was code. $450.00.
    I've been installing my water heaters this way (hard piped) since propress came out and they've been inspected with no problems. They're clean and look professional and have never had a problem with them. My fittings will outlast the water heaters life, guaranteed!

Then the brain dead "salesman" (wanna be plumber) told her that her well had brown water (he showed her a piece of the copper he cut out from earlier and it was brown inside) and it would eventually cause all the pipes in the house to rot out. LIAR!!!!! He wanted to sell her a one time well treatment for $500.00, he was going to dump chorine down the well head.

Then he told her she needed a new kitchen faucet, $650.00 installed and wanted to continue inspecting the home.

That's when her husband showed up and told him to leave. They paid the 200 bucks to fix the original problem. Told him to get lost, they won't ever call that company again. Word of mouth is big up here and from what I'm hearing it won't be long before they have no more customers. I found out they've been black listed from two phone books for not paying their bills too. LOSERS!!!!

These kind of companies give us a bad name, sad.

Ok I feel better now. Thanks guys!

Re: Unbelievable

You should tell them to sell cars and atop giving our trade a bad name.

Comment

Sounds like he missed his calling as a politician!

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post

Then the brain dead "salesman" (wanna be plumber) told her that her well had brown water (he showed her a piece of the copper he cut out from earlier and it was brown inside) and it would eventually cause all the pipes in the house to rot out. LIAR!!!!! He wanted to sell her a one time well treatment for $500.00, he was going to dump chorine down the well head.
        She has a high iron content, but it will not be the cause of her pipes rotting out...however a high iron "bacteria" can be a contributor of pipe corrosion. Most likely a low ph with a high acid content is the culprit for copper pipe corrosion on wells.

A 1 time treatment will NOT correct this problem, as your customer needs a whole house filter to protect a water softener for this problem.

Comment

Dielectric unions are code here. I can't believe anyone would use FIP adapters on a water heater. What the heck is wrong with you? Those FIP adapters will never rust, & close up the nipples almost solid, like those dielectrics will. Get with it Flux, this heater may now last 20yrs. You keep this up, you may be out of work one day.

That idiot that wanted to change the piping for $450.00, needs to be sent directly to jail. (and not even pass Go).

Comment

Dielectric unions collect crud so fast its a joke

The wanna be plumbers sound like home inspectors .. They have No Clue of what is Important or needed

Comment

I think I've used dielectric unions maybe a few times early on. But after seeing what they do after time it really is a joke and I won't install them. Most every company around here hard pipes water heaters, we don't use flex. What happens with flex is the rubber expands and contracts too much from huge swings in water temps and they end up leaking.
              I thought about calling the "wanna be" but he's not worth it. He's only hurting himself.

Oh, and the same customer has me scheduled for this Friday to replace her faucet.

Comment

I have an inspector that always wants unions on water heaters so I do in his districts to keep him happy and another that told me not to that " you don't want to make it too easy for the home owner. And you do want to stay in business right!" . Die electric unions are junk tho I can remember doing warranty replacments and you could barely get a pencil thru the opening.

Comment

I'm a hack, I don't use die electric unions either.

Comment

No, ya'll are all wrong about those companies giving you a bad name.

Those price gouging, predatory companies give you, me and any reasonable tradesman a GREAT name for being fair and respectful to customers.

For every person that customer tells of their awful experience; hopefully, they will commend you on the good service you have provided to them and up your business.

Craig

Comment

Do they make dielectric unions, w/ brass body, instead of galv? It is code here to install them, no idea why, cuz heck after a few months the rust inside the pipe, will make enough contact for electrolosis. I was at a job for something else, just yesterday, & I could see the dielectrics on the water heater I installed last August 2011, already showing signs of rust.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post

Oh, and the same customer has me scheduled for this Friday to replace her faucet.

What's that going to cost? $649?
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I had an inspector who would not accept the dielectric nipples that the manufacturer had installed and insisted that unions were required ( they are not).

I removed the factory installed dielectric nipples, then installed two steel nipples, a brass, I.P. union and male adapters into the brass unions. I must of made my point because he had to pass it since I met his requirement for unions. It cost a little more but was worth it.

If you really want to get their goat, a "water heater " union is sold that is an all brass union and it is male I.P. x female copper.. It screws directly into the heater and you can install copper into it and still have the transition and the union, with out the dreaded die-electric fitting. I'll try to post a link or picture of it.

Attachment

Keep in mind that brass is a legitimate transition from steel to copper and I can't find the requirement for unions on water heaters, even though most inspectors believe that it is required. Rather than argue and get nowhere, I just do what they want, usually.... unless the inspector is a jerk and needs to learn that his way is not the only way to do things.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by APHCO; 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM. Reason: post picture and correct description

Comment

Working...
                          X