X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owner Builder

Do you guys do them? Charge more if you do?

Everytime I do an owner builder renovation it goes like this:

Beggining: Super excited owner, ready to take on the project, very happy with his selection of subs.

Middle: Starting to get worn down, can't believe how much stuff he / she didn't think of. Costs are starting to pile up from unforeseen things like cabinet & door hardware, and extra costs from sub contractors charging them drive time or service call fees because they show up and things aren't quite ready resulting in multiple trips.

End: Completely over it, has a bad taste in their mouth about the subs. Is way over budget, and is now trying to squeeze money out of you by trying to buy their own hardware (which is usually wrong). Had one guy try to install some fixtures on a permitted job, made my guy undo it and redo it since we are liable.

Everytime I am done with an owner builder, I say never again but then I some how get sucked into doing it again thinking this one will be different.
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Re: Owner Builder

All builders are the same, and they create these problems by not using common sense. I have no sympathy for these clowns, and I always turn their requests down when they contact us.

For example..a builder will contact us to bid a job after he has already seen the job and gave a price to the customer. THAT is the problem right there...why is he giving a price on Plumbing, when the builder doesn't know exactly what it costs for a Plumber to run his own business? What does a builder know about Plumbing? Since when are they experts in our field?

Try reversing roles and giving out a price for carpentry work to be done, and demanding that carpenter to be in that price range, and watch how fast he screams like a pig.

I only work for 2 builders that we have known for decades....we trained them right to get a price off of us FIRST before he bids the job. That way there is no possibility of a job going over budget!!

Btw...nice AR 15's. The one on the right looks like a Sig 556 though.

Makes me want to trick out my Sig 556.
    Last edited by Flux; 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

What's worse is the owner/builder that was a carpenter for a year, is doing some of the work, and is supplying used materials for you to install. I got sucked into one of those jobs (hourly only) and what a mess he turned it into. First day in the job I created a 5 page front and back punch list on legal paper of things that needed to be fixed prior to any more work being done. The subs he did try to hire refused to even talk to him once they seen the job and heard what he wanted. What a fuster cluck that job was.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
        What's worse is the owner/builder that was a carpenter for a year, is doing some of the work, and is supplying used materials for you to install. I got sucked into one of those jobs (hourly only) and what a mess he turned it into. First day in the job I created a 5 page front and back punch list on legal paper of things that needed to be fixed prior to any more work being done. The subs he did try to hire refused to even talk to him once they seen the job and heard what he wanted. What a fuster cluck that job was.
        Have to correct you on this one --"was a carpenter for a year"--should have said he owned a hammer and saw for a year!!

Comment

Some builders are no different than owner/builders...

I've had good experiences so far with owner/builders, as they usually are friends and referrals and they lean on me for advise and end up using all of the people I recommend anyway and goes smoothly.

Worked on a "U-Build It" project, that was a nightmare!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            Have to correct you on this one --"was a carpenter for a year"--should have said he owned a hammer and saw for a year!!
            LOL, I do not recall how long he said he was a carpenter, but it was not very long, maybe while he was working his way through college. Back in the day when the money was everywhere, you could show up on a job with a compressor, nailgun and a set of bags armend with only the knowledge on how to read a tape measure and get a job as a carpenter. Now he is a Civil Engineer working for Caltrans, all he has to do is schetch what he cobbled together, and put his stamp on it saying its good.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              All builders are the same, and they create these problems by not using common sense. I have no sympathy for these clowns, and I always turn their requests down when they contact us.

For example..a builder will contact us to bid a job after he has already seen the job and gave a price to the customer. THAT is the problem right there...why is he giving a price on Plumbing, when the builder doesn't know exactly what it costs for a Plumber to run his own business? What does a builder know about Plumbing? Since when are they experts in our field?

Try reversing roles and giving out a price for carpentry work to be done, and demanding that carpenter to be in that price range, and watch how fast he screams like a pig.

I only work for 2 builders that we have known for decades....we trained them right to get a price off of us FIRST before he bids the job. That way there is no possibility of a job going over budget!!

Btw...nice AR 15's. The one on the right looks like a Sig 556 though.

Makes me want to trick out my Sig 556.
              All my GC's do it this one. The problem I have is more owners who try to do a renovation who have no idea on how a renovation works or how to stagger the trades. A big example of that would be that they have no clue that the plumber is supposed to come BEFORE the electrician. The subs end up picking up the slack a GC or project manager would have. I have been fortunate I guess to have worked with excellent GCs and project managers that when they're not hired for a project I notice a big difference.

Yes your right the one on the right is a Sig 556, its my baby. I wish Sig designed its 716 like the 556 not like an AR-10, I would have bought one of those too.
              Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
              Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
              X