I have a customer in the HystericalClick image for larger version

Name:	a3df67d093bd84ec77de00f88b463704.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	16023Click image for larger version

Name:	060ad3b1df2b56be299606a4a7334ee4.jpg
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	16024 district in town who wants her sink restored as best as possible. I'm going to remove and re-chrome anything I can but the pop-up assembly looks to be missing parts. Can anyone recommend suppliers for this old junk...I mean fine plumbing hardware?
    Mike

Re: Old faucet and drain parts

Yikes...I would say updated bathroom? I don't know if you could redo that stuff...would it be worth the costs?
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

That sink needs to meet a sledge hammer.

Comment

Google, a few hours and a couple of beers will get you some information. I know there are a few outfits out there that demo and save things out of old buildings, you probably could buy an entire "complete" setup in better condition than try to find obsolete parts. OOOLD hardware stores might have things like this sitting in the back covered in dust...
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

The website is not much to look at but the guys behind the scene are first rate. There is nobody better at tracking down obscure vintage sink parts than these guys. Send them the photos and you'll have an answer pretty quick.

Parts Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            The website is not much to look at but the guys behind the scene are first rate. There is nobody better at tracking down obscure vintage sink parts than these guys. Send them the photos and you'll have an answer pretty quick.

Parts Unlimited

Thanks for the website, bookmarked that one.

Comment

I would tell them to have the sink re finished but give them a catalog to pick out some new faucets and pop-up kohler has one of these and a pop-ups that should work . And then its like brand new

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                I have a customer in the HystericalClick image for larger version

Name:	a3df67d093bd84ec77de00f88b463704.jpg
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	16023Click image for larger version

Name:	060ad3b1df2b56be299606a4a7334ee4.jpg
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	16024 district in town who wants her sink restored as best as possible. I'm going to remove and re-chrome anything I can but the pop-up assembly looks to be missing parts. Can anyone recommend suppliers for this old junk...I mean fine plumbing hardware?
                Mike
                It's not junk, restore projects for this sort of thing are worthwhile, and profitable. I'd try and remove the pop assy, clean it, possibly get it re-finished, and build some new linkage for it. Replacing it is going to be the only option though if it doesn't want to come apart. The basin cocks aren't original trash 'em and get new ones with ceramic handles.

I love jobs like those, lots of billable hours. Good luck.

Comment

Here are some pics of one I did in 2010. I used an American Standard because they use the speed connect popup without linkage. It uses a cable. If it is just the period basin that the homeowner is interested in restoring then maybe you could put a spout where the pop up handle is located and use a wide spread faucet.
                  Attached Files
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks
                    Great replies. I'll try Parts Unlimited Monday. They will be leaving in April and I will dis-assemble the existing parts at that time. I'll link to the suppliers who help out with the project and report back on the progress.
                    Mike

Comment

I hope your customer realizes how much it will cost her to have these items refurbished. I would hate to have you do all of the research, and labor and buy the parts just to find out "I didn't want to spend that much".

I am very tired of customers that want everything a certain way ( their way!) but do not want to pay for the costs involved. They want what they want but do not want to allow you to make a profit. It would probably be cheaper to replace everything , as has been suggested, than to try and match the original install.

Myaka:Regarding your avatar; can I come and live at your house??

Comment

APHCO, I understand what you are talking about, but not in this case( I recently had one gentleman tell me about the 80' sailboat he keeps in Monaco, near his other house, and them tell me I charge too much and we need to re-negotiate his bill). this particular lady understands this situation. She purchased an old Dupont house here and all the other bathrooms have been modernized except for this one and she want it preserved.
                        No, you can't live at my house. I'm at my limit for Michiganders visiting( one of my best friends is from South Haven)

Comment

Tell me about it. I recently had a customer tell me in one breath about his upcoming trip to France with his wife for the Cannes film festival and then, in the same conversation, ***** about the cost of fixtures (that he was getting at a discount anyway), completely oblivious to the irony.
                          My policy is: whiners automatically get a 50% hidden surcharge added on so we'll both feel good when I give them a 25% discount.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                            Tell me about it. I recently had a customer tell me in one breath about his upcoming trip to France with his wife for the Cannes film festival and then, in the same conversation, ***** about the cost of fixtures (that he was getting at a discount anyway), completely oblivious to the irony.
                            My policy is: whiners automatically get a 50% hidden surcharge added on so we'll both feel good when I give them a 25% discount.
                            Over the last year, I had a few new customers come right out and say "I want your discount that you get through the supply house, because we know you get one". I mean they were not even bashful about saying it to my face, and I wasn't bashful in my response either... "That is reserved for long time customers".

I personally want no parts of buying fixtures,faucets, etc. I'm so glad the big box stores are around and people can buy online...takes a ton of headache out of my life.

Now we normally don't install HVAC units that people buy themselves...we simply don't do it. However, we made an exception for this one guy, because he wouldn't stop pestering us and we had time to do the job.

During the job, I over heard him talking to a friend as to... how much money he saved by buying the Unit and of course GOODMAN's killer warranties. So when the job was all done, he called my father a few days later to complain about not being able to register his products online through GOODMAN, and my dad said to him..."if you read the fine print, GOODMAN doesn't warrant any thing bought online".

I wish I was there to see the look on this face when he was told that.

Comment

During the job, I over heard him talking to a friend as to... how much money he saved by buying the Unit and of course GOODMAN's killer warranties. So when the job was all done, he called my father a few days later to complain about not being able to register his products online through GOODMAN, and my dad said to him..."if you read the fine print, GOODMAN doesn't warrant any thing bought online".

I wish I was there to see the look on this face when he was told that.

On that is priceless. Made my day.......

Comment

Working...
                              X