X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megapress for steam

We replace steam and return lines here on a daily basis. We can split steam fittings and radiator valves, and notch out 80 year male threaded joints in our sleep. The problem is vertical apartment steam risers with no access to the next fitting. Sometimes you cant fit a 700 in there to thread on the line. MegaPress says their fittings are rated for low pressure steam. Cutting out a bad section anywhere with a sawzall and pressing in a new section sounds too easy. Would you trust press fittings on steam, or should I just use them on the returns?

Re: Megapress for steam

I feel your pain on notching out 80 yr old male threaded joints on steam systems. lol

Still, every once in awhile I tell myself that I can use the biggest pipe wrench I have and muscle that fitting off! Maybe once or twice in my career I was successful in doing it, but I just break out the sawzall and cut it out.

Me personally, I wouldn't have peace of mind using press fittings on any type of heating (hydronic) and especially steam. That's just me though, as I'm old school and set in my ways on certain things.

I'm not lazy and have no problem turning pipe wrenches. I'll leave the pressing tool in this application for others to fiddle with. I'm not against pressing at all...just don't believe in it for the heating side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
      We replace steam and return lines here on a daily basis. We can split steam fittings and radiator valves, and notch out 80 year male threaded joints in our sleep. The problem is vertical apartment steam risers with no access to the next fitting. Sometimes you cant fit a 700 in there to thread on the line. MegaPress says their fittings are rated for low pressure steam. Cutting out a bad section anywhere with a sawzall and pressing in a new section sounds too easy. Would you trust press fittings on steam, or should I just use them on the returns?

I used Fastlock to repair a hydronic heating system a couple weeks ago. No way to get a threader on, and I avoided having to charge the customer to dig ten feet to the pipe through a crawl space. So far it's working.

Rated for 250 degrees F and 200 psi. It doesn't say they are rated for steam though.
      FASTLOCK - Technical Information

The Viega MegaPress says it's rated for hydronics but doesn't say it's rated for steam in the tech data sheet. http://www.viega.net/xbcr/en-us/Vieg..._Tech_Data.pdf
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

We threw a ProPress coupling on a steam line as a band aid(80 pound steam, heat trace), and within 12 hours it was leaking. The next day we shut the line down and did a proper (soldered) repair and it has been fine ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
          We threw a ProPress coupling on a steam line as a band aid(80 pound steam, heat trace), and within 12 hours it was leaking. The next day we shut the line down and did a proper (soldered) repair and it has been fine ever since.
          was it a megapress fitting
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

That is 325 F.....no wonder it failed.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • conductor fault locating
            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

That was too difficult to press in steam line. That's why it was failed and leaked again.
              How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

Originally posted by plumbers101 View Post
                That was too difficult to press in steam line. That's why it was failed and leaked again.
                What is so difficult about squeezing a trigger?
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • conductor fault locating
                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

What type of solder do you trust on an 80 pound steam line?
                  Or do you mean you silver-soldered or brazed it.
                  What material and what size is the heat trace? Copper?

Mechanical joints for small size (under 1/2") heat trace work,
                  use a Parker or Swagelok double-ferrule compression union.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Can't use pro-press fittings on steam, I just did some reading on megapress. I don't deal with steam ever so I dunno but I've been using pro-press for 8 years with out a problem, so viega must be doing something right.
                    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      What type of solder do you trust on an 80 pound steam line?
                      Or do you mean you silver-soldered or brazed it.
                      What material and what size is the heat trace? Copper?

Mechanical joints for small size (under 1/2") heat trace work,
                      use a Parker or Swagelok double-ferrule compression union.
                      Usually use Swsagelok fittings, on the 1/2" copper line it was soldered with regular old silvabrite and held up till the pipe corroded. The only reason it got a pro press was because it needed to be "fixed" till we could shut the system down.

Comment

Working...
                      X