Hot water for ice maker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water for ice maker?

This may be a stupid question. I"ve seen it too many too many times. Hot water running to fridge. Can someone tell me what is the thought behind this?

Re: Hot water for ice maker?

Originally posted by Reardon View Post
    This may be a stupid question. I"ve seen it too many too many times. Hot water running to fridge. Can someone tell me what is the thought behind this?
    Maybe it has something to do with the notion that water that's been boiled freezes sooner than water that hasn't?

Maybe it has something to do with dyslexic plumbers.

I have never seen hot water run to an ice maker so perhaps it's just where you live.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

My 10 year old was trying to feed me that line of crap. I told him it doesn't matter how long it takes, unless you use a lot of ice, it will fill the tray and shut off either way. I them suggest he attempt to prove his hypothesis, he immediately lost Interest and walked off.

I have screwed up once before, I removed a water filter for the kitchen and retrofitted in a dishwasher. I hooked up the supply line, ran the machine, and almOst at the end of the driveway before I realized I did not switch the double anglestop to the hot side..........
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by Reardon View Post
        Even a monkey would have a 50/50 chance to get it right
        I have seen 1 older grandfathered in plumber do every single possible plumbing job
        The exact opposite of how it should be done
        I cant understand it unless he thinks This and does That hes too consistent

Comment

I had always thought that some people did it because if you had hard water....the water heater would "capture" the hard water and then your ice cubes would come out clear and not cloudy.....just a thought....
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I know that people on well systems tend to connect icemakers to the hot side of water heaters. Same goes for humidifier lines.

Comment

dcman & plumberscrack,

You both hit it on the head. I purposely plumbed my ice maker to the hot water supply. I am on a well with very hard water and a lot of sediment (I have a filter for the sediment). The water heater precipitates out the hardness in the water and the ice is purer and much clearer. I drain crud off the bottom of my water heater every month or two and get s surprising amount. The ice maker never really gets hot water as the piping is long enough the ice maker is full before the hot water reaches it.

The theory that hot water freezes faster is an OWT

Comment

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
                dcman & plumberscrack,

You both hit it on the head. I purposely plumbed my ice maker to the hot water supply. I am on a well with very hard water and a lot of sediment (I have a filter for the sediment). The water heater precipitates out the hardness in the water and the ice is purer and much clearer. I drain crud off the bottom of my water heater every month or two and get s surprising amount. The ice maker never really gets hot water as the piping is long enough the ice maker is full before the hot water reaches it.

The theory that hot water freezes faster is an OWT
                Hot water, or water that has been heated, will freeze faster. If you don't believe it, then explain the zamboni, that resurfaces ice rinks, with all those propane tanks, & steamy hot water, coming out. I used to throw hot water on my skating rink in backyard when I was a kid. It would freeze instantly.
                http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/icy-hot/
                Last edited by Don the plumber; 03-03-2012, 02:53 PM. Reason: add a link

Comment

Perhaps it's just an old wive's tale, but I distinctly remember as a kid being told to NEVER drink water from the hot faucet because the water heater is a breeding ground for potentially harmful bacteria.

If that's so, I don't believe I'd want my ice being made from bacteria rich water.

If it's NOT so, kindly disregard this reply.
                  "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I've always thought water at 50f loses 1 btu for every 1 degree f until 32f, then needs to give 144 btu to freeze to ice. How does 120f+/- freeze faster.

Comment

First of all, I've never heard of people using their water heater to neutralize their hard water. Good information. However, Doctordeere brings up a good point. As Dave Yates has preached for years, the only safe water heater is one with the temperature set above 140°F to prevent the risk of exposure to Legionella. But, even in the scientific community consensus on this issue is not apparent ( Residential water heater temperature: 49 or 60 degrees Celsius?). I think, if my water supply was from a highly mineralized source, I'd consider connecting my ice maker to the hot side. I'd also look into point of use filtration (seeing how my only cost would be for parts and not labor to install or maintain).
                      Last edited by Plumbus; 03-03-2012, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X