Sizing Electric Water Heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing Electric Water Heater

I got a call from a homeowner who 3 years ago added a master suite and laundry room onto his house.

During the remodel, a 50 gallon electric WH was installed to serve just the addition.

The hot water fixtures include: front load washing machine (high efficiency), laundry sink, standard shower head, 120 gallon soaking tub, 2 lavs.

Needless to say, the 50 gallon is running cold when his teenagers want to use the tub while the washer is going and poor dad has to take a cold shower.

The homeowner wants to stick with electric heaters so what would be the better option, adding a second 50 gal electric in series with the other one or doing away with the existing WH and installing a new 80 gallon?

or just take less baths

thanks in advance -- Craig

Re: Sizing Electric Water Heater

Probably adding an 80 gallon electric will do the job., To be on t he safe side call a water heater manufacturer and have them size it. Don't be surprised if the homeowner doesn't want to spend that much money!! Usually the homeowner wants the problem solved but doesn't believe the solution or won't spend the money.

As much as I do not believe in tankless heaters, this would have been the perfect place to install one. The original plumber screwed up in sizing the heater for the load required. Don't waste too much of your time on this

Comment

Some may disagree with me but ... Install a tempering valve and crank up the existing heater

Comment

you still would not have enough storage or recovery. You have to have adequate one or the other in order to have sufficient water for all of the usage.

Comment

Craig - what part of town you in? Who do you work for? The new AO Smith Heat Pump heater would be a good, energy efficient option. Where is the heater located? Has this always been an issue? Are you certain that the bottom element is good? Guess a lot of it depends on the homeowner, and their budget. I would also recommend a circ pump. Sometimes people get impatient if they have to wait and waste a bunch of water.

Comment

APCHO, you're correct in that its not a temperature problem, its more that the quantity of hot water is inadequate for demand. and youre right, a tankless would have been great here.

Plumbpro, I considered a circ pump; however, the distance to fixtures and wait time is not an issue because the heater sits directly below the suite in a basement so there's not much distance at all to fixtures. Also, both elements tested fine with my Fluke. I ve never messed with a heat pump WH but will consider looking into that esp since there's already a 220 line ran to the existing install.

Comment

forget the electric tankless unless you have a nuke plant downstairs. roughly 240 amps at 240 volts.

typically a second heater is better than 1 large heater, but in this case, having another 4500 watts available is iffy and possibly costly to run. so i would then swap to a 80 gallon electric. the recovery will still be slow, but the first hour rating would be plenty.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance but dont you guys have gas over there.
                As far as the tempering valve, good move. Swap out the shower heads for GreenPlumber efficient ones.
                Head Pumps, well there are some that arent too bad. What about Solar or Solar boosted, any good or.......?????????????
                Dont slam me, not familiar with all of the intricacies of the various states yet

Comment

I wasn't suggesting an electric tankless.

An eighty gallon electric (probably) still wouldn't be enough capacity for the possible load, unless you juiced up the elements as in a commercial installation.
                  The load needs to be determined and then the heater can be sized for the required demand. Any other way and your looking for problems from an unhappy customer. And since you would be the last guy to touch the job........

Comment

120 gal. is a large tub. Hope the washing machine is one of those really efficient one's.

Comment

I HATE tankless water heaters too..... but we have a development in my area that has a 1000 modular homes in it.. most of the homes have huge juccuzi tubs.... all the homes have electric water heaters and can't fill those big tubs.... there is a plumber in town that puts in gas tankless heaters and so far (3 years) people love them and he does a real nice job.. they fill that tub right up. not sure how many customers I lose but I don't want to start putting in tankless heaters... and crawling under the trailer to increase the gas main and doing all the other stuff the inspector requires. ..... but I have started suggesting the hated tankless water heater.

Comment

In my opinion, two 50 gallons already wired for both thermostats to come on at one time. Bradford White will do it so they can keep the warranty or so the inspector will not turn it down. Electrician can tell you real quickly if you have that capability. Of course you need to pipe it "reverse return", fastest way to pipe and ensures both heaters work at the same rates. This way will be about what one 75 gallon would cost, get more gallons and quadruple (I think) recovery rate.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • conductor fault locating
                        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbPro View Post
                          Craig - what part of town you in? Who do you work for? The new AO Smith Heat Pump heater would be a good, energy efficient option. Where is the heater located? Has this always been an issue? Are you certain that the bottom element is good? Guess a lot of it depends on the homeowner, and their budget. I would also recommend a circ pump. Sometimes people get impatient if they have to wait and waste a bunch of water.
                          They are crap. Nobody will want to pay to maintain it. The room size will need to be large, especially if people will be in there.

Just realized this was originally posted in March....oh well.
                          Last edited by Gettinit; 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • conductor fault locating
                          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                          X