No announcement yet.

Atta boy sears service

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atta boy sears service

Last night we had no hot water...Usually stuff fails at 9:30p.m. on a Friday!!!

This morning around 8a.m. I called Sears service....We have a Kenmore 50 gallon gas
    fired water heater about 6 years old.

I told them I went through the restart exercise three times last night and after the burner was on
    for a short while it would it would quit and the pilot would go out!

Well, about 2 or so hours after initiating a service call and the service guy showed up.
    I told him the symptoms and what I did.....

He said "no problem" and proceeded to remove the burner assembly and thermocouple

He told me the water heater looks just fine and it's a simple fix it seems there is a flame arrestor
    screen and likely it is clogged with debris causing the water heater to go into a safe mode and shut down.

I gave him my FENIX 800 lumen LED to use although he did not require it....He did like the bright light it provided!
    He then vacuumed and blew out the burner assembly, flame retardant screen etc.
    In about 15 minutes he cleaned and tested the water heater ...all done...

AH! hot water again
    Excellent service

Cactus Man

Re: Atta boy sears service

you don't realize how nice Hot water is until your with out, Glad your up and going again,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

I thought the air intake screens on the Kenmores were on the base ring at the bottom. Why would he take out the burner assembly? They just pop right off the bottom of the heater. If it happened once it's going to happen again. Is your water heater near your dryer by chance?

There is actually 2 screens. One plastic screen on the outer base to catch the heavy dust and lint. Inside, just under the main burner is another one that sometimes gets overlooked. VERY difficult to see without a camera. If the outer plastic screen is removed that inner screen will stop up pretty quick especially like Ironranger said if it's near a dryer. If I'm removing the main burner anyway I usually just throw in a new pilot assembly and thermocouple kit while I'm in there.

Hope he checked the flue baffle. I've had a few Kenmores that have just disintegrated after only 3 years

Thank You Both,I just learned something new !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .