On the fly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: On the fly

Thanks for the classy responses to my response in response to your response..
    Time for me to lighten up.
    I love the boltcutter copper pincher.
    I have to freeze a 2 1/2" water main in a couple of weeks. A rusty, frozen IPS gate valve is stuck in the open position, less than a foot from the foundation wall. I will open the foundation wall around the pipe to make room.
    Maybe some TLC and penetrating oil will unstick it?
    I am used to freezing water mains with dry ice.
    Do the freezing machines do a more effective job?

Comment

dry ice is liquid co2. the freeze kits that inject co2 into bags wrapped around the pipes do a better job than just co2 touching the pipe. the liquid co2 forms a tight fit/ contour to the pipe and speed up the freezing time. co2 is -107 i believe. liquid nitrogen is over double that cold.

the electric freezing machines are not as cold as co2, but are much more convenient and don't require breathing air in a confined environment.

2.5'' iron pipe is not simple to freeze. steel takes longer than copper. 2.5'' steel is beyond the capacity of the ridgid superfreeze 2500.

see the link.

Pipe Freezer - RIDGID Professional Tools

i own both the 2000 and 2500 along with several co2 kits. the superfreeze is my first choice for freezing. co2 is reserved for larger bore pipe.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        dry ice is liquid co2. rick.
        not to be picky but Dry ice is solid CO2, co2 does not exist in a liquid state at normal atmosphere pressures,

Carbon dioxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Carbon dioxide has no liquid state at pressures below 5.1 standard atmospheres (520 kPa). At 1 atmosphere (near mean sea level pressure), the gas deposits directly to a solid at temperatures below −78.5 °C (−109.3 °F; 194.7 K) and the solid sublimes directly to a gas above −78.5 °C. In its solid state, carbon dioxide is commonly called dry ice.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

pretty sure what's contained inside my co2 tanks is liquid co2. remember that the pressure is roughly 700# at room temperature inside those co2 tanks i use. that's why i use a siphon tank for making dry ice and a standard tank for blowing up air lines/ gas lines.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

yes one can compress it to liquid, but at normal atmosphere pressure, (what we normally breath CO2 solid turns straight to vapor) and yes one makes Dry ice by releasing the liquid out of the compressed tanks via drop tube and as it is released if done correctly it will make dry ice, but it does not go to liquid as we know it at regular room pressure,

http://ochem.jsd.claremont.edu/pics.dir/dryice.pdf
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
            X