X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the fly

What do you think the limits are, in pipe size and pressure, that a threaded water main service valve inside a building can be changed on the fly?

Re: On the fly

I would never even try it. The liability is too great.

Comment

Have Rick freeze it for You
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i've done it with angle stops and hose bibbs before.

depending on the pipe size, and pressure. plus how wet you want to get and will the threads get damaged when the last thread is left hanging while unscrewing will determine your success or your insurance bill

freezig is possible under the right conditions.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I would never do a main water service valve on the fly, regardless if it was residential or commercial. I don't think my insurance company would like it either.

Comment

Life is tough enough without these perils !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would never try it but...... ive been able to cram a Jet Sweat into a 1" copper pipe under 45psi. Two hosebibbs open to help relieve pressure. I was soaked but it was 90 degrees outside.

Comment

If you're going to try it, make sure you have a friend film the event, and include the audio. Could make for an enjoyable u tube experience.

Comment

Set their garage on fire 1 st, It'll be a good distraction!

Comment

Ok, here were the conditions at the time:

-The 3/4" threaded ball valve was split, leaking,getting worse by the hour, and I was concerned about the valve rupturingovernight. 2 days for a street opening permit to close the corporation stop.

-60 psi, 3/4" K copper water main. Inside a 4"house trap pit with the handholes open. Ground floor warehouse,pit located next to a roll up door leading to thesidewalk.

-Threaded adapter at the water main, and a heavy c-clamp onhand to close the copper pipe if needed.

The procedure took less than 90 seconds. Too boring foryoutube.

I also enjoy an 8% discount on my insurance due to a lowexperience mod, and I have frozen many water mains. Could not do it here.

So why the condescending responses? Instead of posting picsof the science labs and radiant systems I completed, I decided to leave my egoat the door. I just wanted to converse openly with like minded pros. I haveread posts by others describing practices I would never condone, but I withheldjudgement.

I have a thick skin (I train in MMA), but this bothered me.I wish some had asked for clarification before going negative. I truly wish allof you the best,(especially Plumber Rick) and I liked reading past posts, butthis place is not for me.

Comment

On My end ,it was just My Irish sense of Humor. This is a great site ,with endless knowledge and experience. Sounds like You have much to offer. Me sorry, hope You hang around. CRAZY old Uncle.

Comment

Man, please don't go!

I for one enjoy reading your posts because I always wonder what its like plumbing in a bigger city like where you are.

hope you hang around

Comment

In my experience the more important the need is the more problems one will experience in the process, (if you can shut off the water, you will have few problems, but if you can't and even tho you have done the process a thousand times with out problems, usually that is when the stuff hits the fan at the worst possible moment,

If there would have been indication that the building would not be flooded if the process was not as fast as desired, may have got some different responses,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Never done threaded. Done lots of propress. You need an extra set of hands though. Biggest I've done is 1-1/4" at 75PSI outside. We both got real wet. Cut it, slammed the valve on open, pressed and closed the valve.
                            Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                            Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

ray, were you ever worried that the water blowing past the open pipe could wash out the o-ring while trying to slip the 1.25'' valve onto the open flowing pipe?

i'm glad it worked and this gives me more confidence when i need to try it myself.

best i remember doing is the time a 3/4'' copper pipe was crushed and spraying making it impossible to freeze. this was before propress. i managed to use a bolt cutter to pinch off the copper and stop the flow. this allowed me to freeze the copper, cut the copper round and make a soldered joint. shutting the water was never going to happen on this property.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X