X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roto Rooter caught again.

One of my customers, an elderly woman, called me today asking me to come over and clean their sewer out.

Yesterday they had Roto Rooter come out to clean their sewer lateral to the street. The "technician" told my customer that he couldn't get through and charged $441. Today Roto Rooter came out and ran a camera down the sewer. The camera operator said her sewer was blocked 66 feet from the house and for $4100 Roto Rooter would dig up her yard and repair the sewer. She claimed the fellow "was quite excited" for her to sign the contract and he pressed her on it. Apparently that's when she called me hoping I cleaned sewers.

Sadly there's no way I could get there before this weekend, and since they had already been without their facilities for a couple days I felt they would be better served (certainly sooner served) if I referred her to another sewer drain cleaner whom I use to jet sewers when I can't get them with a snake. I've found that outfit to be reliable, competent and honest.

The upshot is they showed up, jetted the sewer clean. It took four hours, with well over 100' of heavy roots. My customer said she saw them work very hard the whole time because she had to sit at the door where the hose came through the door to stop mice from coming in.

She was thrilled with the job and was so happy because she didn't have to pay thousands to have her sewer dug up as Roto Rooter claimed was required.

She has a copy of the contract Roto Rooter tried to get her to sign so I told her to call the city she lives in (Golden Valley, Mn) and talk to the building official, that he would know who to talk to about Roto Rooter's apparent con. If I remember correctly Roto Rooter was banned, or severely limited in their working in a local town or city back a year or so ago because of complaints similar to this.
    Last edited by geno gardner; 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Roto Rooter caught again.

I live in Minnesota, I would love the name of that business if I ever am in need of a sewer line cleanout!

Comment

I although I'm glad your were able to help out your customer, if it had as much roots as you say, maybe replacement ain't that bad of an idea...
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
        I although I'm glad your were able to help out your customer, if it had as much roots as you say, maybe replacement ain't that bad of an idea...
        Perhaps. The thing is the homeowner is now in a position to make an informed decision after getting competitive quotes, and perhaps different solutions, such as lining the sewer instead of replacing it, at their leisure rather than being pressured to do it during an emergency.

The fellow who did the jetting told her to have it snaked in a year, and then every two years thereafter. I haven't seen the sewer or video.

I just pm'd Alpha the info he wanted and it occurred to me that a video inspection of the sewer could now actually be performed so the owner could see what's what. This message board is the best for generating ideas!
        Last edited by geno gardner; 03-15-2012, 10:12 PM.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
        X