Name:	a490f93a8d67551170d73f04e73c9ebe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	16124Click image for larger version

Name:	d302796f56a2b3ecb5cde14407543257.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	16123
    I found this piece of pipe when digging around my house. House built in 1951. 4" in diameter, black, and looks to have layers wrapped around to form it. Is it Orangeburg?

Re: Orangeburg ?

Sure is. sewer or area drains ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'm not really sure what it was used for since in 1951 when the house was built they used a septic system. Then in 1980, they connected to the street lateral which was concrete asbestos pipe (Transite). I got the city to replace the sewer with the green PVC for free.

Comment

Looks better than a lot that I have replaced ...

Comment

Can't be Orangeburg. Doesn't have any big blisters inside, or layers flapping across and restricting flow.

Comment

In 1951 it was most likely sewer related although in earlier times it was also used for both potable water and electrical conduit.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              In 1951 it was most likely sewer related although in earlier times it was also used for both potable water and electrical conduit.

Mark
              Were there any health issues for water use ?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Were there any health issues for water use ?
                Not that I am aware of but that is where Orangeberg (fiber pipe) started. Boston had a mile and a half transmission line in service from the 1865-1927. As a matter of fact when my daughter and I first rediscovered the spring, which is now our water company in Utah, we found Orangeburg pipe. They had 4" Orangeburg pipe running from the spring back in to the creek. All that was left was portions of the bottom of the pipe but there was no mistaken it for anything other than Orangeburg.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Re: Orangeburg ? Boston Elec in orangeburg

Many Years ago My Nephew was doing work in a manhole, Boston Area. Boston edison had a standby Rep. His Boss told Him to bust open that old Orangeburg pipe.
                  He came out off the hole and asked The Edison Guy if they had any Elec. in It. Not on the Plans ,No. He said "You sure ?" Got a wise a$$ reply. Nephew was next to the steel
                  ladder when His big digging bar broke through O'burk into 18,000 volts of copper. Killed the lights at fenway park, Almost killed Kevin. He survived and in court The Edison Man Admitted His Error. About 1 Mill the hard way/ "When in doubt, Don't"
                  Pilots survival code.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Many Years ago My Nephew was doing work in a manhole, Boston Area. Boston edison had a standby Rep. His Boss told Him to bust open that old Orangeburg pipe.
                    He came out off the hole and asked The Edison Guy if they had any Elec. in It. Not on the Plans ,No. He said "You sure ?" Got a wise a$$ reply. Nephew was next to the steel
                    ladder when His big digging bar broke through O'burk into 18,000 volts of copper. Killed the lights at fenway park, Almost killed Kevin. He survived and in court The Edison Man Admitted His Error. About 1 Mill the hard way/ "When in doubt, Don't"
                    Pilots survival code.
                    Mark ,sent You a P.M. about this

Comment

My sewer lateral is Orangeburg, circa 1949. I've replaced a few of my neighbor's lines, just not my own. Because my line runs to an easement in the back of my property, replacing would would mean hand digging. Removing the deck and concrete walk I put over it (knowing at the time I was playing with fire), will make for even more fun. That said, I've only had one stoppage in my 32 years here, probably because I got rid of the previous owner's trees a long time ago and my neighbor's trees are at least 15 feet horizontally from the line. That said, I know it's just a matter of time.

Comment

Working...
                      X