X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting a faucet to 1/2" ips pipe

Some faucets connect to 1/2" ips pipe or nipples, and also use that connection to hold the faucet firmly to the sink. Mainly commercial type faucets, I usually run into vertically mounted faucets. This weekend I installed a sink for a customer who washes their dogs a bunch and they ended up with a horizontally mounted faucet.

I used to just put a washer in the back, and tighten away hoping the faucet would be tight to the sink at the same time the connection wouldn't leak, and also hoping the pipe faced down so I could connect it. Then, sometime in 1986, I came up with adding screws to a flanged sink ell. Now I can tighten the fittings, and then tighten the assembly to the sink. The best part is if the faucet ever loosens up, (I'm sure you've seen your share) you can tighten the screws instead of trying to get another complete turn on the fitting.

Try it you might like it. )
    Attached Files
    Last edited by geno gardner; 03-18-2012, 10:57 PM.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Connecting a faucet to 1/2" ips pipe

Brilliant!!!!

Comment

Nice, very nice.
      26+6=1

Comment

Many of the European single hole faucets are coming with tapped locks nuts and screws these days. Makes for easy tightening (and loosening upon removal if the screws are stainless).

Comment

The shanks on faucets are NOT tapered pipe thread, they are straight pipe thread. That is to the securing nut will screw on to where it needs to be. And the water connection to such a shank is supposed to have a gasket in it. I don't know how you make that elbow connection not leak.

Comment

The faucet shown has no shank coming thru the sink. What you cant see is the close 1/2"npt nipple between the bottom of the faucet to the flanged copper elbow. They are both female npt connections.
            26+6=1

Comment

I think I am confused or past my bedtime.

Are you saying that you have adapted a wall mount faucet to mount on a deck??

Wall mounts connect with a nipple, deck mount need a tapered supply or supply nose piece.

Who supplied the faucet. Do you know the brand name?

Obviously if you have been doing this for 26 years you are doing something right, but I am still confused!

Comment

Very creative Geno...but I don't think this one is for me.

If I'm ever concerned about a faucet moving, I'll make sure to use phenoseal underneath the flange/s.

Comment

I just buy the T&S mounting kit from my local kitchen service supplier.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

That faucet is a deck mount designed commercial faucet by Gerber. It's a sprayer which I think would normally be used as a prerinse for a commercial dishwasher. This faucet had to be attached using nipples. I supplied the faucet.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                    X