Commercial Rinnai Tankless Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Rinnai Tankless Install

Took out two Rheem G76 Universals and installed three Rinnai 9.4LSi. I hate the Rheem G76 Universal Commercial water heaters. More problems than I can count. I had such trouble with these two at this location in particular, that at one point Rheem asked me to figure out why they were intermittently failing because their reps and tech support had no idea and wanted it documented.

So I convinced the restaurant to do this instead. Two would have sufficed but I and the restaurant wanted redundancy in the system so I went with three. This also reduces the burn hours and rate on the primary heater. The primary heater will rotate about every 2 months.

Excellent system, the restaurant is very happy and it's sister restaurant wants to do the same system now.

Name:  01b11a44eef7a666f403f5863b36f0b4.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  107.0 KB
    Last edited by mpm; 03-19-2012, 12:01 AM.
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Re: Commercial Rinnai Tankless Install

I think that is a great Idea for Restaurants, laundromats, maybe Hotels etc. The turn down % could be huge. How does it work so that 1 then 2 then 3 heaters come on line with demand? Is it internally valved to? Looks cool.

Comment

Very nice. What temperature output are they producing? Are you using a mixing valve?

Comment

Why are the valves on the downstream side of the gas lines? And, one is shut off. Is that because it's there only as a spare, in case of a failure to one of the other units (the redundancy you mention in your post)?

Comment

The heaters come online based on demand. The more demand the more heaters that fire. The internal of tankless heaters work the same way, the more demand, the more the gas valve opens.

The units are producing 140F (I can bump up to 180F), no mixing valve. I've only used mixing valves on a solar system with tankless install. You can plumb the mixing valve with the hot out from the solar system going into mixed side of the valve then if the water is hot enough it will bypass the tankless and go into the hot system, if it is not it will go into the tankless and then into the system.

Each heater has a service valve kit, then a gas valve with a union on the heater. This will allow easy replacement of a unit: Shut three valves, undo three unions (3/4 galv union right on bottom connect of unit, flex line just made for an easier hook up, not ment to be used as union) and swap, easy as pie.

The one heater with the gas valve off has not been hooked up yet. I took this picture just before I left the job, my guys finished the rest.

Keep in mind if you do more than two units you will need a manifold kit for the circuit boards to communicate. Two units only require a simple connection cable between the units.
          Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
          Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
          X