Ridgid tapper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid tapper

I am about to purchase a Ridgid 3422 tapping tool.
    I have to install 1" sprinkler test valves on 5" and 6" sprinkler cross mains.
    Installing valves without shutdown will save much time and risk of leaks on an old building, not to mention no need for fireguards on every floor during shutdown.
    Anyone have experience with this?

Re: Ridgid tapper

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
    I am about to purchase a Ridgid 3422 tapping tool.
    I have to install 1" sprinkler test valves on 5" and 6" sprinkler cross mains.
    Installing valves without shutdown will save much time and risk of leaks on an old building, not to mention no need for fireguards on every floor during shutdown.
    Anyone have experience with this?

I've infrequently used a "wet tapper" to tap water mains (in the street). The cities around here require a saddle nowadays. (They didn't back in the 80's). I did one a couple years ago. I find it's interesting to do new things in plumbing and think your idea is a good one. Do you plan to drill your hole inside a nipple and valve already installed on the saddle? If so, make certain the valve is full port. Slide the drill bit all the way through the valve, nipple, and saddle and then all the way back out prior to your installing it, to be 100% certain you can retract the tap all the way out. Just because the supply house says it's full port doesn't always mean it IS full port.

Good luck!
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Re: Ridgid tapper

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
      I've infrequently used a "wet tapper" to tap water mains (in the street). The cities around here require a saddle nowadays. (They didn't back in the 80's). I did one a couple years ago. I find it's interesting to do new things in plumbing and think your idea is a good one. Do you plan to drill your hole inside a nipple and valve already installed on the saddle? If so, make certain the valve is full port. Slide the drill bit all the way through the valve, nipple, and saddle and then all the way back out prior to your installing it, to be 100% certain you can retract the tap all the way out. Just because the supply house says it's full port doesn't always mean it IS full port.

Good luck!
      Is there any chance of the core falling out into pipe, or getting lodged in nipple or valve, on the way out? I never seen this done.

Comment

Working...
      X