X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.h. And boiler t+p blow off plumbing

With the cost of copper is anyone plumbing blow offs with PVC ? I think It's rated for 140 F. The smitty pans come with a PVC FITTING ? I set W.H.S. 120 F. Is it against
    U.P.C. ? I have a long run coming Up. Is it wrong to tee in Boiler T.P. To a 3/4" line? The Two now are 6 " above a garage conc. floor, No area drain. 2 Little ones play Next to both units on GYM matts, rainy days!. One way or the other both are getting plumbed to 6" above outside. New 50 Gal. bradford White tomorrow. Also adding Gas sediment trap that was never plumbed! Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: W.h. And boiler t+p blow off plumbing

Here it can't be PVC.....it can CPVC or even PEX....
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I've never seen anyone use CPVC on a boiler t&p valve, but using black iron would be nice alternative. Keep in mind if a boiler is popping off, it most likely wouldn't be 120 degree water...more like 180-200 degrees. But that's if we are talking about the same type of boilers we install on the East. If you're talking about one of those wall hung boilers...I have no idea about those.

CPVC "should" be fine in U.P.C.
      Last edited by Flux; 03-19-2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Picked up 2 sticks 3/4" M. Will get more $$ Thanks Tool
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Any possibility of forming an ice plug in the pipe in the winter with the drains piped outside?

Comment

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
            Any possibility of forming an ice plug in the pipe in the winter with the drains piped outside?
            Good Question. In our area ,25 miles west of S.F. CA. , We have some 32 degree nights But it's up to 50 degrees by 10 A.M . In Your local , if You don,t have area drains , How do You dump the T.PS. ??

Comment

Tee-wye, trap and funnel off the sanitary drain stack. Use a grinder to chamfer the copper pipe at an angle to reduce splashing. Some vegetable oil in the trap to slow evaporation of the water in the trap seal. Your idea seems like the ideal solution.

Comment

Tee-wye, trap and funnel off the sanitary drain stack. Use a grinder to chamfer the copper pipe at an angle to reduce splashing. Some vegetable oil in the trap to slow evaporation of the water in the trap seal. Your idea seems like the ideal solution.
                What code allows your scenario? I find it hard to believe an inspector would actually pass that, unless given special permission from him.

HVAC contractors in my area get lazy, and run their condensate lines into a stack or main line, and it fails every single time, and we are not U.P.C.

Comment

i would not use PVC or CPVC after time it will get brittle and my shatter , it M copper pipe for me
                  i would not want to take the chance of burning some one
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    What code allows your scenario? I find it hard to believe an inspector would actually pass that, unless given special permission from him.

HVAC contractors in my area get lazy, and run their condensate lines into a stack or main line, and it fails every single time, and we are not U.P.C.
                    Long day, my brain is fried-maybe I'm off on this. Why no good for a condensate to drain into a stack?
                    Condensing boiler gets a neutralizer.

Comment

Long day, my brain is fried-maybe I'm off on this. Why no good for a condensate to drain into a stack?
                      Condensing boiler gets a neutralizer.
                      I'm not talking boilers on this one...

In Pennsylvania, you will see HVAC companies put air handlers up in an attic, and run their condensate line into a Plumbing stack. Now what happens to the trap in the winter time, when the air handler isn't being used, and the furnace is in the basement? Guys here are too lazy to run their lines into a gutter, or all the way down to the basement. It's nice and easy when they see their unit right next to a Plumbing stack.

As far as Condensing boilers, I have yet to install one, and only had 1 customer ever ask about them.

I take it you do a lot of Commercial stuff huh?

If it's residential, who's boilers do you use?

Comment

I don't think trapping a t and p on anything is allowed?
                        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                          I don't think trapping a t and p on anything is allowed?
                          I was always taught that nothing can possibly impede a T&P valve, and even though there would be an air-break/gap between that and a trap, suppose the sewer line is backed up, and this valve decides to blow off.

I don't know...maybe there is special circumstances you can pipe this way, and if there is...I obviously don't know the correct answer then. Maybe for commercial it's a different story, I don't get involved in commercial boilers...way beyond us and more for mechanical companies.

Comment

In Pennsylvania, you will see HVAC companies put air handlers up in an attic, and run their condensate line into a Plumbing stack. Now what happens to the trap in the winter time, when the air handler isn't being used, and the furnace is in the basement? Guys here are too lazy to run their lines into a gutter, or all the way down to the basement. It's nice and easy when they see their unit right next to a Plumbing stack.

As far as Condensing boilers, I have yet to install one, and only had 1 customer ever ask about them.

I do a mix of everything. Small shop. Myself and 4 guys. One guy does apartment repairs in the 'hood. Lost one van there. I split my time in the office and doing the difficult jobs. Too spread out. Ductile iron, Backflow preventers, oil water separators. Just did new bathrooms with core drilling, wc and lav carriers and fixtures. Myself. Science lab w/acid waste pipe. Tough to stock things in an organized manner. I can be on an aerial lift and on a computer doing certified payroll in the same morning.
                            I tend to use Burnham. Steam mostly, nothing huge. Installed a burnham ES2 with a chimney liner. Pretty nice, time will tell. I use a combustion analyzer on my installs.
                            I am wondering about the use of a trap on a relief valve...

Comment

On condensate in S.F. I ran into a condensate pump plumbed in pvc into a laundry sink. Satisfied inspector. Can never dump on ground in S.F. Marin Co. ground dump OK

Comment

Working...
                              X