X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unkown source of running water in Vacant home

I am currently looking for a new house. We were in a house last night and while in the basement we noticed a trickle of water going through the soil pipe. We searched the house from top to bottom and couldn't find leaking faucets, toilets, or anything but there was definitely water feeding into the waste system somewhere.

Out of curiosity.. where would you guys look.

Thanks,

Josh

Re: Unkown source of running water in Vacant home

Someone May have tied in an outside foundation or area drain into the Home drainage.
    Was it ,or had it recently rained? Are roof gutter down spouts plumbed underground,
    or surfaced dumped? Running toilet ? City sewer,not septic,right ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Condensate line maybe. Is there r.o or water softener?

Comment

Josh, the most common source of water is a toilet that seeps and goes unnoticed.

bring some food coloring with you and drip some into the toilet tank after it has been flushed and is refilling with the flapper already closed. this will color the water in the tank. let it sit without flushing and go onto your home walk. come back 10 minutes later and see if the bowl no shows the colored water. if it does, then you have a leaker. either bad flapper, flush valve or running ballcock.

of course the ro system is a good call and so are the outside drains that might be tied into the waste system.

don't you have access to a sewer camera

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Like Tool said, if there is a basement look around the perimeter to see if newer concrete looks installed the trend for water proofers these days is to lay a french drain on the inside and tie it into the side sewer. Some use a back water valve others just straight tie it in with no trap etc. I do not like those systems because they are just a glorified way of collecting the water but they cost way less and achieve the apperance of a dry basement.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

First id check the water meter to see if its spinning. Right there you can narrow it down to potable water or surface water. Dont forget to look fo old trap primers weeping water.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              First id check the water meter to see if its spinning. Right there you can narrow it down to potable water or surface water. Dont forget to look fo old trap primers weeping water.
              Funny ,never thought of a trap primer failing, Dripping without fixture flow, Learned something! How often does that happen ?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I say do what plumberscrack suggested 1st. But if the house is vacant, how bout just turning the water off at meter, & come back in a few hrs, or next day, to see if water is still going through drain. You can then check all toilet tanks, to see if they lost any water. Also when you turn valve back on at meter, if there is a leak somewhere, water will start flowing as soon as you open valve, if nothing flows, you know you got a leak free system.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Funny ,never thought of a trap primer failing, Dripping without fixture flow, Learned something! How often does that happen ?
                  Hard to say. It's a lot easier to tell when they stop dripping then when they drip too much.

Comment

All great suggestions. The water running can actually be heard dropping into the stack in the ceiling of the basement so cant be from foundation. It may be from the ice cube maker. The food coloring trick is a good one. Will remember that for the future.

The really good news is that I dont even have to worry about what the source is. after seeing 35 homes I think we finally found the one. Putting in the offer tomorrow (fingers crossed) So sick of spending entire weekends looking at houses.

Cant wait to actually get into a new one.!

Thanks again everyone,

Josh

Comment

I'll bet after all the work you did on your foundation, you looked at the foundations of 35 home with the eyes of a Federal inspector.

"yes honey, I can see this place is too small, needs a new roof, windows, siding on the back, a new drive way, out of our budget, and in a bad neighborhood, But feast your eyes on this foundation, she's absolutely beautiful"!
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                        All great suggestions. The water running can actually be heard dropping into the stack in the ceiling of the basement so cant be from foundation. It may be from the ice cube maker. The food coloring trick is a good one. Will remember that for the future.

The really good news is that I dont even have to worry about what the source is. after seeing 35 homes I think we finally found the one. Putting in the offer tomorrow (fingers crossed) So sick of spending entire weekends looking at houses.

Cant wait to actually get into a new one.!

Thanks again everyone,

Josh

Moot point I suppose, but if you could hear the water "hitting the stack" If it's a PVC or ABS waste and vent system I'll surmise you're actually hearing the water hit the bottom of the closet bend. The toilet's flush valve seal on the first floor has likely failed. Rick's suggestion of food coloring was spot on.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                        X