X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Real" Plumbing Lead Closet bend ...

This was installed before I was born ... will be there after I'm gone ... real craftsmanship ...

Read pride NO building codes ! ...

Re: "Real" Plumbing Lead Closet bend ...

That was code in St. Paul, Mn. for many years!

Comment

I found one the other day in the crawl space of an older home. it had been removed and left years ago when the owner re-did the drainage with plastic. there's a home a few blocks from me that has an old laundry tub downstairs with a 2" lead bend / drum trap to the stack. fascinating...

That logo is interesting to me because I didn't know lead bends were actually manufactured and sold. I thought they were hand made on site?

Can anyone out there chime in more on lead bends? were they bought in specific lengths then cut to size according to the rough in?

Also, why do you sometimes see lead used and not cast iron?

Comment

Way before my time
        I'm sure it was a factory piece !!

Comment

We have a ton of lead bends here in our area. It's the only time I'll use a horned wax ring when resetting a toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPlumberAL View Post
            I found one the other day in the crawl space of an older home. it had been removed and left years ago when the owner re-did the drainage with plastic. there's a home a few blocks from me that has an old laundry tub downstairs with a 2" lead bend / drum trap to the stack. fascinating...

That logo is interesting to me because I didn't know lead bends were actually manufactured and sold. I thought they were hand made on site?

Can anyone out there chime in more on lead bends? were they bought in specific lengths then cut to size according to the rough in?

Also, why do you sometimes see lead used and not cast iron?
            On average I remove a few failed lead bends a year in the twin cities. I imagine they were sold in standard lengths then cut to size and the joints wiped in place. I also presume they were used because they were cheaper to buy and install than cast 90's. The lead could be somewhat shaped to fit the space the bend was in unlike cast. With the lead bend there's almost never a flange, they peen the lead over the floor and set the toilet. So there's one wiped joint / caulk joint instead of two or three caulk joints.

What's cool about the picture is I've never seen a manufacturers tag on any lead bend, lead pipe, or lead drum trap.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Funny, My H.D. carries them, Next to the cast iron radiators.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If I pull a toilet and find one I install a brass flange beat the lead back down and reset with a horned wax ring. I almost never replace them. I also like the drum traps the old timers used above a living space. It has the plug on top. The plugs come right off like pie. They stay clean and the plug is usually flush with the floor.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • conductor fault locating
                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

When i did plumbing on Long Island 26years ago i do remember getting them from a supply house
                  to tale the masters test back them you had to take a brass ring and put it on the lead tube by wiping the lead joint
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    We have a ton of lead bends here in our area. It's the only time I'll use a horned wax ring when resetting a toilet.
                    Agreed, the only place for a horned wax ring.

David

Comment

Working...
                    X