Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid cost me today.. Should I be Mad?

The Call: A blocked sewer call,
    The sewer is serving (2) 4-plex apartments and a Quizno's sub shop.

Looking through my records I see that I have cleared this sewer 11 months ago (white mice).

4" clean-out w/ K-1500 and a retriever. I became lodged in an obstruction, I worked the cable for about 5 minutes and was honestly surprised it came out so easily... This is what comes back!

What the He@$ I just bought this Ridgid retriever last week from my Ridgid dealer, No matter what you gotta go get it if you leave it... Gotta cut.

Gotta Dig

I should be a mud logger... Camera's can't see anything and I cant get folks to stop flushing so I'm a getting madder by the hour...LOL

GOT IT!!!

The retriever managed to screw itself through a rubber FERNCO that was not cemented in, it was literally screwed right through the rubber. The bigger question is why would this new tool fail.

The consensus is that this auger weld was too hot and De-tempered the steel at the weld edge allowing it to snap under load.

Should the customer get charged for this?

What can be done to prevent this from happening again Ridgid?

Bill

Re: Ridgid cost me today.. Should I be Mad?

bill, it's a toss up between the auger breaking and the screwing into a rubber fernco.

i never use a factory auger anymore. it's now my reverse auger that never fails. i know for a fact that the reverse auger would not have broken off. believe me i've broken 4 augers in 1 day on a job. in the couple years i've used my reverse auger, it's never broken.

honestly with a 4'' line, i would still have used my spiral rootsaw to grab wipes, and sanitary products. remember that the 1500 open wind cable will grab everything it spins into. not just the auger head.

i think that with a different choice of cutters, you would not have poked a hole in the furnco. we use them out here all the time.

not sure how you can/ will bill this one. sorry. i have no good answer to that one.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
      I guess my point is that I have screwed through FERNCO's, Broken Clay, rotted cast iron and been jammed so bad 4 grown men had to pull the cable. I have retrievers that have been with me for years so to have one fail on it's first use is a major disappointment....

I use a reverse Auger with my K-50 but have not set up for it with my K-1500:-)

Comment

I never broke a cable before like you guys have...what am I doing wrong? I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either.

Would this have happened if it was a steel banded coupling (Mission coupling) instead of a fernco?

This is why I'm a firm believer in that fernco's don't belong underground.

In all honesty, I think I would be more mad at the person who installed the fernco, and I would of been using every single curse word in the book.

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

I jinxed myself cause of this thread, and I did this today to my funnel auger.

Used the funnel auger on a 4" PVC lawn/building trap to take out landscaping rocks a 6 year old threw down there. I took out 28 rocks with my grappler, but couldn't reach the last few in the U bend, so I used the funnel auger to retrieve them by sending the cable down 1 side, and bringing the last few up the other side of the pipe. I guess this auger is toast now.

Comment

I have snapped welds on both designs of Ridgid augers twice under light conditions.
            4 welds snapped.

Sorry this happenned to you Bill
            Last edited by drtyhands; 04-12-2012, 01:44 AM.

Comment

As far as drain cleaning equipment, I would stay clear of Ridgid or any other equipment by any manufactures other than "Dura cable or Gorlitz". Professional drain cleaners know, "torque" is the success to clearing any problem sewer & drain line. If you are going to be the best in the business, you are going to have to set aside all the safety features built into machines like "Spartan & Ridgid" to gain the advantage and learn how to work with "torque" without getting yourself beat to death or injured! Guy's in the drain cleaning cleaning business know exactly what I'm talking about. Forty years ago, 95% of the plumbers wanted nothing to do with the drain cleaning business. They would sub out all the work to drain cleaners. They all used effective equipment unlike today when you reach an obstruction, the machine slows down to a halt! "If you can't take the pain, then don't clean the drain"! Stick with "Plumin"....

Comment

Join the club Bill every time I break a cable or cutter it is alway at the weld which seems to be the weakest point I can remember years ago the cable was pressed onto the fittings and wasn`t welded and would like to know why Ridgid welded them

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Jacky1Eye View Post
                  As far as drain cleaning equipment, I would stay clear of Ridgid or any other equipment by any manufactures other than "Dura cable or Gorlitz". Professional drain cleaners know, "torque" is the success to clearing any problem sewer & drain line. If you are going to be the best in the business, you are going to have to set aside all the safety features built into machines like "Spartan & Ridgid" to gain the advantage and learn how to work with "torque" without getting yourself beat to death or injured! Guy's in the drain cleaning cleaning business know exactly what I'm talking about. Forty years ago, 95% of the plumbers wanted nothing to do with the drain cleaning business. They would sub out all the work to drain cleaners. They all used effective equipment unlike today when you reach an obstruction, the machine slows down to a halt! "If you can't take the pain, then don't clean the drain"! Stick with "Plumin"....
                  You wasted your first post showing your A$$ and that you are a drum machine Fanboi to a bunch of Pro's, got it...

If ya wanna start a fight start your own thread

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                    Join the club Bill every time I break a cable or cutter it is alway at the weld which seems to be the weakest point I can remember years ago the cable was pressed onto the fittings and wasn`t welded and would like to know why Ridgid welded them

Tony
                    I bet the Pressed on heads are gonna make a comeback (Rick may not even have one of these )... Now if I could just get them for the K-1500
                    Last edited by OkieBill; 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      I bet the Pressed on heads are gonna make a comeback (Rick may not even have one of these )... Now if I could just get them for the K-1500
                      you're right, i have at least 2 in my truck and a few old school ones in the shop

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Thats a bummer man. I hate ferncos period. I can't believe they are allowed underground let alone under slab.

But t hey are, Its your fault nor the HO. But I do think as much of a headache and PIA it is you gotta eat it. If it was roots or a hard obstruction thats one thing. Those augers should be better made. For it to come apart like that is just crap.

Sorry man, I can imagine how your feelin on this one...
                        Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                        Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          I jinxed myself cause of this thread, and I did this today to my funnel auger.

Used the funnel auger on a 4" PVC lawn/building trap to take out landscaping rocks a 6 year old threw down there. I took out 28 rocks with my grappler, but couldn't reach the last few in the U bend, so I used the funnel auger to retrieve them by sending the cable down 1 side, and bringing the last few up the other side of the pipe. I guess this auger is toast now.

Kids! Dontcha just love'em?

I don't see u-bends here in the twin cities in Minnesota. When I lived in rural Connecticut I used to see whole house traps but they would have a CO on each side. If your U-bend had CO's could you have used a shop vac to suck up the stones?
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Imagine how many hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of those kinds of heads are made every year bill. So ya got a bad one, and it just happened at the right job to make accidents look bad. I've yet to break anything with a ridgid sectional. Have straight snapped a spartan drum machine line though.

But I'm still more partial to drums over sections.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                              Kids! Dontcha just love'em?

I don't see u-bends here in the twin cities in Minnesota. When I lived in rural Connecticut I used to see whole house traps but they would have a CO on each side. If your U-bend had CO's could you have used a shop vac to suck up the stones?
                              The U bend did have vents on both sides, the reason why I could go down 1 side and up the other. I couldn't use a shop vac, because the sewer was over 5 ft deep. Even if I could, I'm not sure if my shop vac would of worked because of the type of landscaping rock it was. They were big and some of them were on the heavy side.

My grappler struggled a little bit, and there is nothing worse than getting a rock 3/4 of the way up, and it slipping out and going "ker-plunk" back in the water!

Comment

Working...
                              X