Balancing valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Balancing valve

I had a customer call with a major leak that resulted from a ball valve being used to throttle flowrate. The valve was almost completely closed causing the water to flow through at a sharp angle. It eroded the pipe from the inside in an 1/8" wide by 2" wide gash. Just as the pipe left the valve.

It was kinda cool
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Re: Balancing valve

Too many variables for a generic answer. I have never used a circuit setter on a domestic hot water loop. I use a boiler purge set up. Get a pump that fits the job ie. head range. The gpm at this point depends on the pressure drop through the heater. A tank is minimal while a tankless heater is high. I have used pumps from as small as a Taco 007 (res. dhw single story) where only a few gallons a minute is needed to a 3/4 hp in line pump with 18 gpm of circulation (2 450,000 btu Noritz with a 200 gallon storage tank). If it involves tankless I recommend calling the tankless heater manufacturer with the application specs to CYA. Lets face it, the goal (in res. dhw) is to keep the water hot in the water lines. Insulation and an aquastat will keep our heat loss low and efficiency high. If you want to get crazy, a pump with a timer set for the times of day when hot water consumption is likely. At the end of the day the homeowner wants it to work. I believe you will scare off more people when they want to know about it. I know about it and I have a hard time explaining it to a professional never mind the homeowner. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid has worked for me in the residential side of things for years. No offense to anyone but (in a DHW system) it is an expensive way to circulate hot water by dialing in both circuit setters in to the same value so the longer linear foot loop will flow. I can't speak for others but why else? One is no easier to set up than the other, for dhw.

Most circuit setter, triple duty, or whatever, applications are used in heating applications and all of the specs spelled out by an engineer who knows what the pressure drops need to be based on pipe lengths, diameter, equipment specs, building specs with regards to the rooms the equipment are serving....needless to say I wouldn't take on that job. I will gladly pick one manufacturer over another.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
      X