X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing valve

On domestic hot water lines when, due to architectural and structural considerations, more than one return line is required to achieve hot water recirculation, we used to throttle globe valves, then it was the same with ball valves. For the last few years we've used Griswold valves. http://www.griswoldcontrols.com/pdfs/F-5387.pdf
    Jusat curious what others do.

Re: Balancing valve

Bell & Gossett circuit setters.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
      same here

Comment

Originally posted by nyc lmp View Post
        bell & gossett circuit setters.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
          Part no.???

Comment

Judging by the looks of them at B & G's website, I'd say their circuit setters look and function a lot like the Grisgolds.
            BALANCING VALVES Bell & Gossett Balance Valves Circuit Setter, Ultraset, Optiflo, Circuit Sentry, Circuit Sensor, Coil Hook-up Kits

Comment

Circuit setters are the best if you can tune them. Any shutoff (put in correctly) with the help of a thermometer works beautifully and cheap. If you're like me the hands don't feel heat to well anymore.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Ok...you guys stumped me on this one.

I do lots of hydronic heating, but never had a situation in where we had to circulate the domestic water lines on a boiler. So let me ask a question, what are these valves used for exactly and what is the purpose for them?

Comment

Quoted...... Circuit Setter Calibrated Balance Valves Balancing valves

The Circuit Setter calibrated balance valve is designed specifically for pre-set proportional system balance. This system balance method, developed by B&G, assures optimum system flow balance at minimum operating horsepower. Each valve is a three function precision instrument providing manual flow balance, flow metering and shut off.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

Higher flow = higher BTU within respects to temperature and pipe size and vice versa. If you ever did a job that was engineered, usually commercial, they will have the appropriate flow rates for each hot water coil at various airhandlers to get peak efficiency out of the boiler, pumps, and fan/fan speed. Why? Because everyone oversized the equipment as the plans changed hands before final approval.

Triple duty valves also accomplish this task. It really depends on system size and application for the appropriate device. Not sure if any of this helps.
                      Last edited by Gettinit; 04-18-2012, 07:52 PM.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

As far as using them on the domestic hot water side of a boiler.....say the boiler is in the middle of the basement in a rather large ranch style house. The bathrooms are on the second floor at each end of the house. You will have two different loops back to one pipe before going to your (whatever you might use as a buffer tank). A ball valve closest to the return junction and a boiler drain upstream from the valve to get flow established. Neither valve should be open fully. A 007 Taco is usually adequate. Don't forget the aquastat. Now no long waits and wasted water. I think in these instances a circuit setter is overkill.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

Gettinit
                          Do you have a B & G part no for the model you prefer?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                            Gettinit
                            Do you have a B & G part no for the model you prefer?
                            The cheaper model is the CB. Go to completewatersystems.com

Brands/products tab, B&G, Balancing.....and there is a ton of info. You will need to at least know GPM being moved and pressure drop.

No special tools required for calibration. There are no favorites just the right one for the application. I don't mean to be vague just honest.
                            Last edited by Gettinit; 04-20-2012, 08:20 PM.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

You will need to at least know GPM being moved and pressure drop.

No special tools required for calibration. There are no favorites just the right one for the application. I don't mean to be vague just honest.
                              That brings up a very good question. On a domestic hot water return line, assuming the object is only to endure that the line be hot when a hot tap is activated, what would the optimum GPM be?

Comment

Working...
                              X